Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 12:56 AM

Default big pocket pair

What do you guys think of this hand I didnt really like the cap all that much on the flop. Should I fire away when I have the overpair or wait for a safe turn card or just go into calldown mode after the 3 bet or fold. No real reads nobody seemed too crazy.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (15 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 18 BB
Old 07-29-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: big pocket pair

I'm probably calling down after the SB 3-bets me on the flop. You said nobody has been crazy at this table, so if he's 3-betting you on this flop after you capped preflop then I think I can give him credit for a big hand (TT-AA). Capping will only win you 1 extra SB when ahead, but lose 1.5 BB more when behind if he checkraises the turn.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:33 PM

Your pf, flop betting indicates JJ, QQ, KK, AA. After the flop there is only a straight draw, which BB could be on, but from the river call he has a J or T, which leaves SB. Two possible situations, SB thinks you are on a blind steal (what is your table image) and is protecting with a lone J or T, JT, J5s, T5s, or has a hand (KK, AA). Based on the SB c/c turn I would eliminate AA.

I personally like the pf and flop cap. If you get bet into on the turn I call down. Turn bet is good and so is the river bet as you just pulled ahead of JT. Did SB have KK? Either way, I would play it the exact same way.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:37 PM

My logic is flawed on what you win/lose by capping/not capping because BB is still in the hand. However, I still call the 3-bet. If you think you are ahead, then call the 3-bet and raise the turn.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:04 PM

I'd just call the 3-bet and reevaluate on the turn. If I have a read that they aren't too tricky then your best bet would be to raise the turn, but only if you're willing to fold to a 3-bet. This gets the max out of BB for his draw and also punishes SB if he has a AJ type hand. On the river you most likely have a value bet again.

If you can't fold to the 3-bet on the turn, then I'd keep it simple and just call down.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:12 PM

I play this the same as Jr.