Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 12:21 AM

Default bet or chk?

Party 20/40 5 handed. I open raise in the cutoff with AK. I have the A of diamonds. Only the BB calls. No read - he's only been here an orbit or two. Seems like the average player - a little too loose preflop, average postflop.

Flop is T85, 2 diamonds. BB checks and calls my bet.

Turn is a 5, 3 diamonds now. BB checks. Your action?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: bet or chk?

[ QUOTE ]
Party 20/40 5 handed. I open raise in the cutoff with AK. I have the A of diamonds. Only the BB calls. No read - he's only been here an orbit or two. Seems like the average player - a little too loose preflop, average postflop.

Flop is T85, 2 diamonds. BB checks and calls my bet.

Turn is a 5, 3 diamonds now. BB checks. Your action?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to bet again... it is very easy to call a bet on the flop with nothing... and following through on the turn is important. Evaluating what to do on the river is the key decision if you don't hit anything. So betting the turn is paramount!!
Old 07-28-2005, 02:30 AM

bet.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:31 AM

i think this is a very standard bet. getting check raised sucks, but you very likely have many outs so it's not so bad. there is a significant possibility that you are still ahead, and a turn bet will often get you a free showdown.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:19 AM

I got check raised of course. I folded the river. It just really irritated me - that's why I posted it, but I thought it was a standard bet too.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:38 AM

I haven't read what anyone else has said, but for some reason I feel like it doesn't really matter either way. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read what anyone else has said, but for some reason I feel like it doesn't really matter either way. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK everyone seems to like a bet, but the more I think of it I like a check. You likely have 15 outs, and A high may be good. It seems to me that this is a good spot to check with outs and induce a river bluff. But then again if you bet and get c/r'ed, he definately leads the river and if you make a flush you punish him. If an A or a K hit though, I don't think he bets. Meh. I dunno.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK everyone seems to like a bet, but the more I think of it I like a check. You likely have 15 outs, and A high may be good. It seems to me that this is a good spot to check with outs and induce a river bluff. But then again if you bet and get c/r'ed, he definately leads the river and if you make a flush you punish him. If an A or a K hit though, I don't think he bets. Meh. I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:05 PM

The pot is small, so it doesn't matter very much if he has a worse hand and draws out on you. You don't want to be check raised because the pot doesn't pad very much.

Check behind, fold to a bet if you don't improve raise a flush, call if you spike a pair and he bets, bet if you spike a pair and he checks.