Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Lindgren\'s JJ Hand

What are you talking about? His read on who? If he reads Chad Brown as having a big hand, then okay, a call is marginal, playing for set value. But Henry Tran had not yet acted on his hand when Lindgren first acted, so the point of Erick reading him for KK or AA is not valid here.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:12 PM

If Erick thought he was strong, what do you want him to do? Raise to confirm it?! The only reason I think Erick called the 2nd raise from Tran was for implied odds if he flopped his set.

If you don't trust your reads what are they good for?

If you want to say Erick made a poor read, that is a very good argument to make.. To say he made a poor play is just idiotic.

This isn't an online tournament as much as you dream it to be.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:13 PM

He read Brown to be strong, and after the Tran re-raise he read Tran to be strong.

If those are his reads, then his play is perfectly reasonable.

If you want to rip on his reads, go ahead, thats completely fair game.. He blew it bigtime.

But if he reads them to be strong, raising is just idiotic.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Erick thought he was strong, what do you want him to do? Raise to confirm it?! The only reason I think Erick called the 2nd raise from Tran was for implied odds if he flopped his set.

If you don't trust your reads what are they good for?

If you want to say Erick made a poor read, that is a very good argument to make.. To say he made a poor play is just idiotic.

This isn't an online tournament as much as you dream it to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet again you don't answer the two simple questions i put forward. I'm going to make something clear, even though i emphasized this earlier. I'm not arrogant and have no illusions of being a fantastic tournament player. I'm good at them, and i have pretty decent understanding of how to play most situations. I am more levels below world class players like EL than i care to count. That doesn't change the fact that in the heat of the moment, he misplayed this hand IMHO, because of how often he has everyone ecept Tran beat, and because of the equity JJ has against a player like Henry Tran here. That is all.

Gabe
Old 07-27-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, when you know the cards it's easy as pie isn't it?

You probably wanted ratboy Nicky to push all in with his Q-Q too didn't you?

I can't believe there's this many bad tournament players on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol exactly. they only say reraise because they saw the cards.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:24 PM

So you admit, you're in the camp of "Abandoned all reads of your opponents", even if you read him to be strong, don't put him on a strong hand.

okay I understand now.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, when you know the cards it's easy as pie isn't it?

You probably wanted ratboy Nicky to push all in with his Q-Q too didn't you?

I can't believe there's this many bad tournament players on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol exactly. they only say reraise because they saw the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Made the disclaimer in my original post about knowing the hole cards and how that may be biasing my views.

But anyhow, I would love to have a bunch of TM1212 and Sekrahs at my table in any tourney.

I'd be in the BB with 72o and make a raise and push 6 Sekrah limpers off their hands time and time again.

Sekrah would say, "Man that guy has been dealt aces like 6 times today!"
Old 07-27-2005, 04:56 PM

Yea, and you'll be the guy who calls the first time I make a bet.. "I think he has Aces, I read him for Aces.. But I have Jacks so I have to call."
Old 07-27-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, and you'll be the guy who calls the first time I make a bet.. "I think he has Aces, I read him for Aces.. But I have Jacks so I have to call."

[/ QUOTE ]

In great situations like this for a squeeze play I will often make a move if I am in the BB. So when a hand occurs like this, I get really suspicious especially if I have a read that the player is aggressive and tricky.

So usually, I put them on 93o which is usually the type of hand I would have. I certainly would not do it with a hand like QJs. Do I need to explain why?
Old 07-27-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is this obsession with protecting J-J? How strong of a hand do you really think this is?

My only conclusion is that we value starting hands differently. I definently don't think much of J-J 7-handed when the big money is right around the corner and I can cruise into it.

He's not sitting at an amateur PartyPoker $5 Sit N Go table.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you folding everything but AA and KK here? I don't understand your comments. How strong of a hand do I really think this is? After 1 min-raise I think this is a very strong hand. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HIS SMOOTH CALL AFTER THE FIRST RAISE, NOT HIS ACTION AFTER EVERYONE GOT INTO THE POT. Against 1 opponent JJ is the 4th best starting hand in the game. Against 7 opponents, it is the 5th best starting hand. That seems pretty strong. Playing for the set is definitely an option, but I think it is weak.

I don't understand your point with the $5 SnG comment. In that game a re-raise won't do anything and you'll get 4 callers if you push here. So? At a table like this I think it is pretty hard for one of the others to make a move with a raise and a re-raise in front of them. In fact, in this very episode you see what happens...fold, fold, fold, fold. I think he's better off isolating here than playing it weak for the set.