Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 02:14 PM

Default 15/30 AQo blind defense

This is the Party 15/30 game. I.e. the aggression level is high and seats vary widely in fishiness.

The action was folded to the SB in a rare moment and he raises. The SB had not stood out one way or the other aggresion-wise but is loose. I decided from the start that I was going to not play an aggressive defense this time around as a change-up. I simply called down the whole way with a board that had one broadway card (a king).

Thoughts on this? Especially from those with Party 15/30 experience, but all comments welcome of course.

- Jim
Old 07-27-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Re: 15/30 AQo blind defense

with no reads other than "loose" this is bad play. that is all.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:41 PM

What did you hope to accomplish with this line? Was it a meta-game thing, or did you just get tired of moving the mouse over to 'raise' [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

doodle
Old 07-27-2005, 02:46 PM

3bet preflop, bet the flop, take it from there. AQ is a huge hand but slowplaying it sucks. If you really must "mix it up," smoothcall preflop and raise any flop that doesn't give you top pair (in which case I'd probably go for the turn raise). Theres no reason you should let this player see the turn without having put 4sb in unless you're pretty sure he's drawing very slim.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:10 PM

I think I should have posted the hand in hypothetical terms. I did only call down for metagame purposes thinking that it would give deeper credance to when I did re-steal. That and I'm most likely a 3/2 favorite coast to coast and possible a marginal coinflip dog against my opponents hands. So the call down is profitable unless I'm missing something obvious.

Afterwards I wondered about the metagame against those who looked at the hand history and doubted the play. I think it might foster increased aggression against me from those who think I was being weak.

For the record, I 3-bet as much as the next guy for the most part in a blind defense with hands like Ax, two broadway cards, pockets, etc (and sometimes with nothing at all).

- Jim
Old 07-27-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That and I'm most likely a 3/2 favorite coast to coast and possible a marginal coinflip dog against my opponents hands. So the call down is profitable unless I'm missing something obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

The part you're missing is that betting every street with 7 high is not mandatory for your opponent. And the fact that your line in position heads up with AQ vs a just slightly better than random hand is +EV is not very impressive. Any line that doesn't involve folding should be +EV, and most of them more so than call-call-call-call.