Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Dealing with Downswings (Long/Ramble)

[ QUOTE ]
Update: I am indeed still running bad. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it makes you feel any better, which it probably doesn't, I'm going through the worst downswing of my life. It's more than 2 buy-ins...ya, it's that bad.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:44 AM

This is your worst downswing? In 3 months? Geez I expect to lose 2 buy-ins at least once/week. I think maybe your game needs to be made a little more aggressive and, while this will cause you to lose more buy-ins, when you win, you'll win bigger.

Go from weak-tight to tight-agg!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:54 AM

Sorry to hear that. Didn't really make me feel better, but I definitely appreciate the attempt. Hope you start running well again. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:35 PM

I'm in the biggest downswing of my life as well. Absolutely horrible.

It started at UB where I deposited for a bonus. Well to hell with the bonus, I have never been clobbered like that before. Monster over monster left and right. I've never been up against huge hands like that.

I move my money to Stars (just before bonus damnit) and run well at the $1/$2 max for about an hour and it all starts crumbling again.

I went 1-15 in SNGs. The 1 being a 3rd place in a $11. I played the $10r 25k last night and made it to the first break ok by doubling up once when my 88 flopped trips but that was all she wrote. I went 9 orbits without a single playable hand. I am not exagerrating. 9 goddamn orbits with nothing better than K9 utg. I got T4o 6 times in 7 hands once. Just brutal brutal brutal. Just like in the SNGs, I lost coinflip after coinflip after coinflip.

My bust out hand was I had Jh8h in the BB and got a free look at a flop with 2 other callers. I push when the flop of Kh 8s 4h hits. I have 2nd pair and a flush draw. Get called by KTo and of course can't hit my 15 or 16 outer. I was 52% favorite on the flop.

At this point I'm scrambling. I can't find anything that works. MTT - fail. SNG - fail. Ring game - fail. I'm taking 2 weeks off. My bad streak has laster about a month now playing almost every day. And there isn't a damn thing I can do about it.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:46 PM

It seems like I have at least one day a month where I lose in the neighborhood of 7-10 buy-ins playing 100 NL (6-max). With practice, experience, confidence and a big bankroll I have learned not to let it bother me. The thing that seems to happen to me a lot these days is that I'll drop 3 buy-ins in the first hour or so of play (4-tabling). I've also learned not to let losing these buy-ins early in a session discourage me. I just keep playing and usually end up with a pretty good winning session.

I know I could go through life without such large downswings by playing less maniacal, but the cost of this would be that I would have +7-10 buy-in days much less frequently.

I think I used to get bothered by downswings because I felt like they were evidence that I was a lucky fraud - and that the luck was catching up to me. Now, I'm well funded and fully confident that I can beat the game consistently so they do not bother me.

Passion
Old 07-27-2005, 01:48 PM

As long as we're all sharing:

My worst downswing. $200NL running bad -> $100NL running bad -> $50NL tilting before i finally regained control and run well again.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:01 PM

Default i like pictures

Old 07-27-2005, 02:29 PM

How do you guys get those pictures? Does pokertracker have a graphing option I'm not aware of or do you just have to export the data into excel?

Passion
Old 07-27-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you guys get those pictures? Does pokertracker have a graphing option I'm not aware of or do you just have to export the data into excel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the PT forums, theyre atleast two different graphing programs for download
Old 07-27-2005, 02:44 PM

Well...I'm sure it wont make you feel any better but...I lost my entire bankroll trying complete 10,000 hands in ten days....Kinda overextended myself. Haha at me .