Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: The new NHL rules

The Swedish Elite League hockey is played on a bigger rink, teams run different systems and overall different game.

As I said, overall with all the rule changes (this includes the officials actually getting stricter and calling more obstruction/interference penalties) these rules on the goalies are not needed
Old 07-26-2005, 06:45 PM

No. Goalies will always be untouchable. Either through the rulebook or teammate enforcement. Under the old rules, a netminder was fair game if handling the puck outside the crease. But touch him, and pay the price.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. Goalies will always be untouchable. Either through the rulebook or teammate enforcement. Under the old rules, a netminder was fair game if handling the puck outside the crease. But touch him, and pay the price.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am entirely in favor of goalies being untouchable, but only by teammate enforcement and not by rules. I am in favor of teammate enforcement for many things. The NHL brass needs to quit being such little bitches about fights and goons.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am entirely in favor of goalies being untouchable, but only by teammate enforcement and not by rules. I am in favor of teammate enforcement for many things. The NHL brass needs to quit being such little bitches about fights and goons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bertuzzi isn't really helping that one much
Old 07-26-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bertuzzi isn't really helping that one much

[/ QUOTE ]
Right. There is definitely a line, however, between goonery and teammate enforcement and outright criminal behavior. I'm all for a fair fight and a good solid hit. What Bertuzzi did was just plain criminal. He should be in jail for a long time for what he did.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Other teams such as Ottawa, The Wild, Calgary, some others have at times run trapping similar systems since.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Since", I'll give you. But the current Flames don't play the trap. Sutter's system is an aggressive forecheck.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Other teams such as Ottawa, The Wild, Calgary, some others have at times run trapping similar systems since.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Since", I'll give you. But the current Flames don't play the trap. Sutter's system is an aggressive forecheck.

[/ QUOTE ]

true. With that they run a tight back-checking style in the nuetral zone if the opposite team breaks the forecheck moving out of the offensive zone into the nuetral zone.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:03 PM

I'm pumped for the no obstruction rules. It'll just make it that much easier for our forecheckers to get to the puck carrier without being held up.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:44 PM

Lets be honest with ourselves.

Calgary was nothing more than lucky with an extremely hot goaltender. They overachieved and are not a top 10 team in the NHL.

rJ
Old 07-27-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The one new rule that I know right away that I will not like is limiting the room a goalie can stick handle the puck. This new rule is a joke... goalies have become much better over the past five years or so at stick handling and now the league is taken that away.

[/ QUOTE ]

The AHL had the same rule this season with the trapezod area behind the net and it did not affect the game at all. Granted Broduer & DiPietro are better puck handlers than guys like Kari Lehtonin, Niittymaki & Craig Anderson, but I think this rule change is very minor.