Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 05:51 AM

Default help analyzing hands please

last week during one session i dropped like 5 buy ins really quickly. i looked up the HH and found these 6 hands during which most of my chips left. any help saying how you would have played these hands different would be appreciated! these are all at the .1/.25 NL tables at bodog

HAND 1:
J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button. folded to me, so i raise to 1.30 and the BB calls.

Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. he checks, i bet $2.00 he calls.
J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. he bets $1, i raise to $5, he calls.
T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. he moves all in for $8, i fold.

HAND 2:
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in BB. MP raises to .60. CO and I both call.

K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. i check, MP bets 1.30, CO folds, i raise to $3, he calls.
7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. he only has $5 left, so i figure i'll just put him all in. he calls, and had Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

i realize i should have just folded PF, but could i have done anything postflop?

HAND 3:
Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in SB. folded to me, i raise to 0.80, BB calls.

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] rainbow. i bet $1.50, he calls.
9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. we both check.
4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. i take his call-check for weakness and bet $4. he calls, and shows A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

HAND 4:
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in BB. folded SB, he completes, i raise .75, he calls.

9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. he checks, i bet $3. he calls
3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. he checks, i bet $10. he calls.
4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. he moves all in for $18, i fold.

HAND 5:
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on button. folded to me, i raise. BB calls.

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB pushes all in, i call. he has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
is raising with A7 on the button PF with no callers bad here?

HAND 6:
6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in SB. CO limps, i complete, BB min raises. we both call.

6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. i check, BB bets .25, CO folds, i raise to $1, he raises to 1.50, i call
10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. i check, he bets .25, i call.
8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. i check, he bets .25, i raise to $5, he reraises to $10, i call. he had Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

now obviously, one leak is that i get overaggressive with passive players, reading them as weak. i also made some bad preflop plays here, but i think it was out of frustration that day. any other tips? (i know i played horribly these hands, so theres no need to point that out).
Old 07-27-2005, 06:12 AM

Default Re: help analyzing hands please

I assume these are 10 handed?

Hands 1-4: Don't get cute with rubbish, it gets very expensive very quickly at these levels.
Hand 5: Just bad luck
Hand 6: Don't get cute with rubbish. Don't call raises with 86o, even min raises.

I think these suggestions would help your game:
- Tighten up preflop.
- Postflop, you need to wait for better hands before getting involved in a pot. Middle pair and below is rubbish. J high flush draw on a 3 flush board is rubbish, just fold it. You need stronger hands to make money at this level, because the pots are often multiway and there are too many calling stations.
- Don't bluff as much, it's not worth it at this level.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:25 AM

As Zorro said, you're being too cheeky with hands that suck...

Prime example - If the board is KK8, and you have an 8, and someone is calling your bets... there's a decent chance they have you beat.

Don't raise UTG with Q6o, fold it, every single time. (Hand 3)

Hand 4
Horrible turn bet... you're betting way too much to push someone out... $6 would do.

Hand 5
Bad luck

Hand 6
68 is terrible. You don't play this hand for a pair... ever.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:30 AM

I'm not so sure I fold to the river bet of $8 here. It seems like he got a piece of the flop. Possibly TP. The pot is $22 here and you have to call $8 so you're getting 2.8:1 pot odds. You have to win this hand 37% of the time to have it pay off (is that right? I think so.) With two pair here I feel that BB has top pair enough times to justify the call. After a bet that seems to be a steal I often run into stubborn SB or BB who will get aggressive when they get a piece of the board. Even though it seems that you are beat I think you should call the river here.
With that said, be careful from who you try to steal from. Some people will not give up their BB and some will give it up a lot. It helps to have some info on the players to your left regarding their play in the blinds.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
last week during one session i dropped like 5 buy ins really quickly. i looked up the HH and found these 6 hands during which most of my chips left. any help saying how you would have played these hands different would be appreciated! these are all at the .1/.25 NL tables at bodog

HAND 1:
J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button. folded to me, so i raise to 1.30 and the BB calls.

Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. he checks, i bet $2.00 he calls.
J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. he bets $1, i raise to $5, he calls.
T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. he moves all in for $8, i fold.

HAND 2:
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in BB. MP raises to .60. CO and I both call.

K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. i check, MP bets 1.30, CO folds, i raise to $3, he calls.
7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. he only has $5 left, so i figure i'll just put him all in. he calls, and had Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

i realize i should have just folded PF, but could i have done anything postflop?

***** Avoid the problem altogether by folding preflop. That is the solution. Your question tells me that you are looking for excuses to play too loose.

HAND 3:
Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in SB. folded to me, i raise to 0.80, BB calls.

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] rainbow. i bet $1.50, he calls.
9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. we both check.
4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. i take his call-check for weakness and bet $4. he calls, and shows A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

*** fold prelflop. Did you have some reason to believe you could easily pick up the bb here? Like is he very tight?

HAND 4:
A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in BB. folded SB, he completes, i raise .75, he calls.

9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. he checks, i bet $3. he calls
3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. he checks, i bet $10. he calls.
4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. he moves all in for $18, i fold.

*********** You are digging a hole for yourself here. You bet 2x the pot on the flop trying to take it down and were called. I think that a pot size bet would accomplish the same thing. Once he calls you should be done with the hand IMO. You dug a hole for yourself here trying to buy the pot again on the turn is a no no.

HAND 5:
A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on button. folded to me, i raise. BB calls.

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. BB pushes all in, i call. he has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
is raising with A7 on the button PF with no callers bad here?

**** I think you played this hand fine. I don't think raising on the button here is a mistake. It does help if the blinds are tight. You need to be careful of your post flop play though. Not this hand but the flush board above is a perfect example. It seems like you can't let go of a hand (not by being a calling station but by trying to buy it on each street, digging bigger holes for yourself each time).

HAND 6:
6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in SB. CO limps, i complete, BB min raises. we both call.

6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. i check, BB bets .25, CO folds, i raise to $1, he raises to 1.50, i call
10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. i check, he bets .25, i call.
8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. i check, he bets .25, i raise to $5, he reraises to $10, i call. he had Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

**** I usually fold preflop here. Once you are reraised on the flop I put him on an overpair.

now obviously, one leak is that i get overaggressive with passive players, reading them as weak. i also made some bad preflop plays here, but i think it was out of frustration that day. any other tips? (i know i played horribly these hands, so theres no need to point that out).

[/ QUOTE ]

*** Strong players can raise preflop and then fold on the flop/turn/whatever when it is indicated. You seem to become too attached to hands once you put money in the pot. Based on your play, smart observant players will just let you bet away and hang yourself when they have a good hand.

Put some effort into hand reading. When someone calls your flop bet you should be thinking about what they have, not going into auto-try-to-steal by betting more on the turn mode.

Practice discipline. Practice re-evaluating the current hand after EACH ACTION by EACH PLAYER on EACH STREET. If someone all of a sudden comes to life on the turn you shouldn't be thinking...he's a sucker who just caught that small pair on the turn...you should consider 'is he slow playing a big pocket pair', 'did he flop a set', did he flop 2 pair', etc. The mini raise prelfop by the guys with the queens is a good case in point. When a preflop raiser three bets your check raise warning bells should be going off big time. Someone reraising a check raise is showing significant strenght. You should know this plus think back and remember he was the preflop raiser and put him on an overpair at this point.

I read some small stakes posts where the poster is complaing about 'some fish' calling a preflop raise with 56offsuit only to find out that the 'fish' flopped a full house for short money, slow played it by check calling flop and turn and then leading out all in on the river on a card that seems like a blank, and stacking hero. The mistake is not re-evaluating when he comes to life here. "Did the guy slow play a moster, etc?"