Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Should I bet this river? 6-handed

I'm sort've confused by this river, should I bet it? Should I even call a bet with it?

Reads:
SB is very loose and aggressive preflop, somewhat passive/neutral postflop and will call to the river any second pair. On on occasion, he bet/called, check/called, check/called with second pair.
CO is an unknown.
UTG is very loose and very aggressive. He will 3-bet with made hands, but a bet on the flop can mean anywhere from flopped trips to a backdoor draw with a weak overcard.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Very sketchy preflop call. Especially with the LAPs in the area. This is a definate fold.

Flop: (9 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, SB calls, UTG calls.

Excellent draw here. I have a flush draw with a backdoor straight draw. I give myself about 10.5 outs on the flop, so I raise this flop for value as my pot equity is pretty large here.

Turn: (8.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

I check this turn as it eliminates my straight outs, so I'm drawing to only 9 outs now. A bet will not be for value because I'd need at least 5 people to call for it to be for value.

River: (12.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

This is the main question here. Without reads on CO, I have no idea if he's betting for a steal, or if he actually has the Jack. With the pot as large as it is right now, I figure I'm going to call a bet by CO, and if he was bluffing the turn, it's possible he'll check through and I'll miss out on some bets. Overall, I think this is a better play than check/calling, but should I call a raise here?

Edit: final pot size
Old 07-27-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Should I bet this river? 6-handed

I don't think there is anything wrong with a bet here. You missed the flush draw but hit second pair and with the betting so far it doesn't look like anyone has anything. CO is probably sitting on a J and with him being an unknown it would be some good info to have on him for later if he calls you.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:12 AM

bad preflop limp
bad flop bet
Old 07-27-2005, 07:49 AM

Location: Somewhere between the Cask n Flagon and Green Monster

[ QUOTE ]
bad preflop limp

[/ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with this,

[ QUOTE ]
bad flop bet

[/ QUOTE ]
but not with this. With two callers already and 35% equity I like a raise. These games are loose enough that CO coldcalling is at least 50% likely. I don't want to see a 3bet but the read on SB doesn't make that seem likely.

On the river, I'm likely to check call. I want to see a showdown, given the action so far holding second pair and CO is unknown.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bad preflop limp
bad flop bet

[/ QUOTE ]

and bad river bet. If CO bet the turn he will likely bet the river as well. You have mid pair bad kicker. Your bet might scare off the other 2 that would possibly call CO with a low pair or any crap and you can get raised by CO since the flush scare is gone now. Ah and there is the small possibility that someone wants to C-raise.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

but not with this. With two callers already and 35% equity I like a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have no guarrenties CO will call, SB could also 3-bet and force our other limper out. Thats supposing we have 35% equity, which we don't. The flush comes 35% of the time, but we will only win this around 30%.

Just call and hope it gets raised behind you.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:30 AM

Fold prelfop.

But now that we're in the hand I think I'd just call the flop. Others might be able to answer this better than me, but does this fall into the "bet less now to bet more later" strategy? If a club hits on the turn you can raise the SB bet at that point.

Checking the turn is OK, but CO waking up on the J is interesting. When we miss the flush on the river I check it through and probably fold to a bet from CO.