Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Why are poker players (and in particular these forums) so hostile?

Poker players in general are very competitive people. Especially those who spend a lot of time on it. Why else would we spend hours on end playing a game that is based completely on your ability to play better than the rest of the people at the table.

So once these long time players get good (or think that they're good) they try to take on an alpha male status. When that status is threatened, for example, when they take a bad beat, they have to fight back to regain their dominance. But the way poker works, you cant go beat up some fish who undermines your authority. So you have to lash out in a different way. Hence the flaming.

After a while, i figure it becomes a habit for most.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:46 PM

The Impact of Anonymity on Disinhibitive Behavior Through Computer-Mediated Communication
Old 07-26-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think maybe the problem is not with the forums, but with you. I glance through your posts, and whenever someone disagrees or corrects you, you become hostile.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is almost ironic. It also borders on being an example of what his post was about. There are nicer, less pedantic ways of saying what you're trying to say.

I haven't combed through the poster's other entries like you have, but it wouldn't change the validity of his point even if I did - to use those is to argue ad hominem. I, along with many many others on these forums, was absolutely shocked by the levels of vitriol and patronization I saw here when I first started browsing and posting. It is a phenomenon, regardless of your unwillingness or inability to recognize it.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is almost ironic. It also borders on being an example of what his post was about. There are nicer, less pedantic ways of saying what you're trying to say.

I haven't combed through the poster's other entries like you have, but it wouldn't change the validity of his point even if I did - to use those is to argue ad hominem. I, along with many many others on these forums, was absolutely shocked by the levels of vitriol and patronization I saw here when I first started browsing and posting. It is a phenomenon, regardless of your unwillingness or inability to recognize it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont disagree with your point about the forums.

But, you should note that the OP in this thread is perhaps the most flamed SS poster that I can remember since The-Matador et al. (and there are some who believe that OP is in fact the matador).

What should be noted about internet forums is that we dont have any preconceived notions. We dont see what someone looks like and make a judgement. We know nothing about this person other than that he/she posts.

As such, since ESSENTIALLY NO POSTERS get flamed as much as OP, I find it difficult to believe that is is solely the forum's fault for OP's problems on here.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:09 PM

I was recently involved with some of the hostility you're referring to. I recently posted something that I thought at best might be somewhat interesting and at worst somewhat silly. Someone had responded to that post with what I percieved as the kind of hostility you talk about in your post.

How did I respond? Be being as hostile as could. My hostility bred yet more hostility. I apologized to the poster whom I felt offended by. He was kind in return and all is well with us now on these boards.

I felt a little ashamed of myself for responding initially the way I did. I don't feel it's particularly mature and it's just not the kind of person I want to be. I have a tendency to verbally hit back if I feel I'm being verbally hit. It's not a quality I'm proud of since it seems to do more harm than good.

So there's my reason for my part in the hostility on these boards. Other than the example given I've tried to be helpful when I can and have found that most of the people here are very helpful as well. I've gained a lot from these boards and am surprised as well when someone's call for help is met with denegrading comments.

For the most part I think people coming here are usually given the answers to the questions they post. There might be a few bad apples in the bunch but, in general, I think it's a pretty good bunch.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:23 PM

Funny you noticed. I said that I thought Texas Holdem was about 75% luck. I had just had my arse handed to me in real live NL poker at the Borgata in AC by having big pocket pairs (3 occasions) cracked by arsehole, Corona drinking, college kids, with big mouths and hats saying "Party Poker" which were rotated at 60 degrees (get the picture). I suspect 6 of them drove down in a 91 Honda. Ok, I can live with that because they put their money up and have a right to do as they see fit. Now my "lucky" statement get tons of grief from the 2+2 crowd. I am really laughing, since I figure only a handful of these guys ever play live poker and do not realize how much luck there is in live "weekend" poker at resorts. In conclusion, I think these guys need to get more p-u-s-s-y to relieve their anxiety. (posted after a significant amount of Messaluna vodka). Actually, I am happy to be able to play live poker and get on this pretty good web site.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:16 AM

nice post.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
. I love 2+2, but I believe the quality has fallen in the past couple of months.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Reged: 06/01/05

[/ QUOTE ]
huh?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm a normal guy, mid 20s, with a normal job and a normal life. I'm happy and well-adjusted, and don't feel the need to ridicule people on a message board incessantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me of Eminem: will smith doesnt have to curse in his raps to sell records. well i do, so [censored] him and [censored] you too.

making a post about 'them' makes you the same as them so just [censored] off with it.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:26 AM

You should try to meet some in person, you will be amazed at how many really super nice people are members here.