Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Common situation in Stud/8

let's say you have a respectable high hand such as split queens or jacks, which is an overcard to the board... you complete and get the pot heads up with someone showing a 7 or 8 (not the bring-in)... on 4th street, you catch a blank and your opponent catches an Ace

what do you do if he bets? what about if he checks?
what about on 5th street if he catches another low card while you do not improve? (his board may be something like 8A2)

mike
Old 07-26-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Common situation in Stud/8

You have invested just one small bet at this point, either he has 4 to a low and you are likely betting for half a pot or he has hit a pair of aces and you are a dog to get scooped. I fold if bet to or check behind.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have invested just one small bet at this point, either he has 4 to a low and you are likely betting for half a pot or he has hit a pair of aces and you are a dog to get scooped. I fold if bet to or check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. Maybe I'm an easy bluff if you catch an ace, but as arcticfox said, you are most likely either beat high or going to split your chips. No point in continuing with the pot that small.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:11 PM

I agree as well. If this villian is anywhere near a decent player than you are certainly behind for half of the pot.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:18 PM

Split jacks or even queens is not a respectable hand in stud8. It's too easy for a low to hit a Q or K to scoop.

As for one pair of jacks vs. low + ace, it's an easy check/fold. You are behind any 4 low, you are behind a pair of aces, and you aren't much of a favourite against a 3low cards with a low pair and a ace either.

By fifth, you are certainly behind. He'll have at least a made low, 4low with a pair, or two pair, and you are behind on all those hands.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:10 PM

somebody with an apparnet 3-low how hits a 4th street ace certainly catches very good. conventional wisdom it to toss in a check
Old 07-26-2005, 03:05 PM

What if you raise him on 4th? This play could work because
1. He may have a hand like (37)8A, which he might fold due to lack of scooping possibility. In this instance, you can turn your opponent's adherence to "the Golden Rule" against him and make him fold a hand that has low scooping potential. Yes, I understand that he may hit an ace and you're screwed. You're really putting him in a tough spot when you do this because he can see you have no scooping potential, but neither does he.
2. If he has a hand like (72)7 he'll call a bet or a raise, but if he bricks on 5th then he can't call a bet with a 3 low and a medium pair.
3. A hand you're worried about like buried big pair or an ace in the hole. The big pair is unlikely considering that he called preflop. Ace, eh, take your lumps.
4. A low staight draw-just fold and save yourself the tears.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if you raise him on 4th? This play could work because
1. He may have a hand like (37)8A, which he might fold due to lack of scooping possibility. In this instance, you can turn your opponent's adherence to "the Golden Rule" against him and make him fold a hand that has low scooping potential. Yes, I understand that he may hit an ace and you're screwed. You're really putting him in a tough spot when you do this because he can see you have no scooping potential, but neither does he.

[/ QUOTE ]
He may not have that much scooping potential but he has more than you. He is a slight EV favorite, and isn't poker all about pushing small edges? Now if you had trips you could afford to jam it.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:54 PM

its about a coinflip on 4th... i dont think its necessarily a bad play to raise every so often just so you show that you don't automatically fold big pairs to a 4-low on 4th street

mike
Old 07-26-2005, 06:36 PM

I would fold as well. I would just think of the concept that I didn't build my bankroll pushing marginal situations, but exploiting favorable situations that I have an edge in.One factor that you must think about in this instance is if this player is an advanced one. Will he attempt this everytime the situation arises, from his view, you are a weak-tight player. Then we would have to raise on come out betting on 5th street.