Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 06:43 AM

Default Re: O Doyle\'s Army - WE WANT YOU!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the record, the rake from ODoyle's 120,000 hands did not cover the cost of the promotion

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason that did not happen was because O'Doyle was relagated to playing every and any table he could because of the short timeframe. Obviously this included a number of low and microlimit tables.

A flat 120k hands of 3/6 or higher (and maybe as low as 2/4)would easily cover the WSOP expense.

I've noticed that a large contingency of zoo'ers are microlimt players, and I suspect many of the interested posters in this thread fit that description. I hate to burst the bubble, but at 1/2 or less, a deal such as 120,000 hands for a WSOP is never going to happen. Now, 120,000 raked hands would work, and probably even less than that but I havent done the math.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder whether they would have made money if they collected rake when the pot reached $5 at 1/2 or $10 at 2/4. If they had 50 cent chips at their site, more of ODoyles hands would have been raked.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:46 AM

I think number 11 doesnt like it much.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:36 AM

This certainly sounds like something I would be interested in.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:34 AM

If you could convince a Party skin or Poker Room skin to do this, I would definitely be in.

Great idea. Thanks for putting in the effort.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:27 AM

Count me in on it.
I don't know if I can play that many but i would be willing to try that is for sure.

How about one of the lower events 5,000 nl.

peace
wwonka
Old 07-26-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the record, the rake from ODoyle's 120,000 hands did not cover the cost of the promotion

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason that did not happen was because O'Doyle was relagated to playing every and any table he could because of the short timeframe. Obviously this included a number of low and microlimit tables.

A flat 120k hands of 3/6 or higher (and maybe as low as 2/4)would easily cover the WSOP expense.

I've noticed that a large contingency of zoo'ers are microlimt players, and I suspect many of the interested posters in this thread fit that description. I hate to burst the bubble, but at 1/2 or less, a deal such as 120,000 hands for a WSOP is never going to happen. Now, 120,000 raked hands would work, and probably even less than that but I havent done the math.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Sintax,

You are quite correct. I did have to play all sorts of limits to be able to get these hands in during the challenge period. Without going back and checking, I think almost 65 - 70% of my play was at $1/$2 and another 10% was at $ 25 NL.

And you are also correct and stating if all my play would have been spread between 2/4 and 3/6 it would easily cover the cost.

However, I would mention there were residual benefits for TruePoker as well. I don't have any hard data, but I believe as the result of the attention my challenge got, a good number of players went and played at TruePoker. Some may have become permanent customers.

Also just all the attention TruePoker received here at this forum has a long term positive effect for the site that can't be put in dollars and cents, but does bring value for a longer period of time.

While I definitely believe my rake alone did not cover the cost of the trip, from my perspective, TruePoker got excellent value for my 120K hands challenge given all of the residual value they received. In any business, the goodwill of that business is a huge component of the value.

In saying that, I also understand that any poker site will have to look at all the factors to see if this is viable or not. I would like to caution everyone the 120k hand figure that I have used is not set in stone. That was merely the benchmark I used since that was my agreement with TruePoker.

Even though we would be a group, this proposal might have to be fine tuned where someone exclusively playing $1/$2 might have to play 150K hands, where someone that plays nothing but $5/$10 and higher might only have to play 90K hands. (These examples I'm giving are just off the top of my head without doing any type of exact calculations.)

Another approach a site might use, which would not be quite as fair to the higher limit players, would be to use an average rake calculaton for all players in the challenge and then use the same hand requirement for all players.

A site would also hopefully take in all the other residual value they pick up as a result of taking on our group. Especially when we show up at a major poker event 100+ members strong and one of us wins it!
Old 07-26-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and one of us wins it!

[/ QUOTE ]

You can go ahead and call me by my name.

Although, every day that ticks by requires more hands to be played per day. I hope something is figured out sooner than later.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:44 PM

I'm interested, depending on details.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would be playing most of my hands at $5/$10.

I'm not willing to play 120k hands of $1/$2, although that may work for many others.

[/ QUOTE ]

As stated before, this might turn into a situation where the player who plays only 1/2 might have to play 150K hands while the 5/10 player might only have to play 90K hands. (just guestimates off the top of my head)

The 120K hands figure I used was just strictly because of the benchmark that was set with True.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If any site ran a promotion where the top 10 players in rake each month got a wsop seat, then I think this idea could work. That would draw so many customers and they would be playing so many hands. If the sites would lose money doing that, then they could do this one as an alternative. If a player makes the top 10 one month, he gets 1/2 a seat. In order to fill his seat up, he'd have to be in the top 10 another month. Once a player gets his seat, he could no longer be in the running.

I like this idea a lot, do you guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not like promotions like this one you describe where "the top 10 players get a seat"

I don't like promotions like that because I do not have control over the situation. Especially on a bigger site, I'll just laugh it off and say, yeah right, what are the chances that I would be in the top 10? I want a promotion where I control my destiny. Give me a certain number of hands, or certain amount of rake that I need to generate in X number of days. I want something that I can figure out how much I need to play each day, set a goal to average that amount of play each day for as long as it takes, and then do it. Basically, I want something like O'Doyle has already described.