Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 08:17 AM

Default check fold the turn?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (3.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Villian has an agression factor of 3 over 300 hands.

Krishan
Old 07-26-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: check fold the turn?

How about his pfr?

I think you need to call dow here
Old 07-26-2005, 08:43 AM

At first glance i though this was really weak. I'm now reconsidering, but unless his PFR is way low i think you can go ahead and call down vs a lot of opponents here. I think this type of hand is really dependant on villian. The ones that get out of line a tad preflop are giving you enough reason to call down(+ being ahead of QQ/KQ/99/TT &amp; the fact that an ace rarely checks flop through).
Old 07-26-2005, 08:46 AM

Location: Somewhere between the Cask n Flagon and Green Monster

Seems to me there's a pretty wide range of hands villain might 3bet if he likes to isolate and play HU. I think I would call down, but not get my hopes up.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:48 AM

obviously the fear here is someone with such a high postflop agg would never check here unless he was trapping with an absolute monster (basically, AA or JJ.)

I would call down, but I don't know if that's really profitable because of the small pot. Being shown QQ and TT here are possible (I know he's aggressive.. but sometimes people check that flop for silly reasons scared of the A.)

and yeah, I think his PFR raise and VPIP might be a good stat to have here. Postflop Agg correlates with VPIP..
Old 07-26-2005, 09:05 AM

i don't get this at all. Are you giving him AAA or JJJ? After he checked that flop, I am calling down. If he has JJ or AA or AJ, then good for him. He lost a SB then by not betting that flop.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:10 AM

If he is a donkey I would fear the flop check, e4specially if he is otherwise aggressive, which it would seem from the aggression factor. If he is a TAG you have to call down - TAGs don't slowplay like this very often. He could easily be fearing the two overcards with 99 and therefore decided to check.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about his pfr?

[/ QUOTE ]

Full stats are ~27/14.

Krishan
Old 07-26-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

obviously the fear here is someone with such a high postflop agg would never check here unless he was trapping with an absolute monster (basically, AA or JJ.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the main point. An agg of 3 means this guy continuation bets with 72o. The only question is whether the read is accurate enough to fold top pair. If you didn't consider his agg factor when you posted, you should.

Krishan
Old 07-26-2005, 09:42 AM

I'm not sure about this one. Surely when you raised w/ A3s UTG you did not expect to only steal blinds or continue w/ a flush draw. Villains play is consistent w/ many hands that beat you as well as many that don't and I don't see any big indications that his hand can beat yours.

If his aggression is so high, he likely folds often when he misses. Why no flop bet? If you are confident that you are dominated, you should problably lead and fold to a raise or give up on turn.

Did you try for a C/R? I think his failure to bet makes it possible that he has JJ or something huge, or something like KQ w/ a turned pair of Ks. Why not just call turn and bet river and fold to a river raise?

The pot isn't that small, it has 4.5 bets in it when he bets turn, and you do have top pair.

I wish you could give more reasons for your actions and/or indications why your read was so strong as to fold to one bet after you had checked twice after flopping TP.