Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 11:32 PM

Default When a flop bet comes from your right....

Still trying to apply SSHE, i.e., protecting strong hands on draw heavy boards on the turn, rather than on the flop.

How far out is my ass on this line?

UTG1 is 34/0 over 20 hands.
MP2 is 27/0 over 30 hands.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (14.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 calls $2.50 (All-In), Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.12 BB
Old 07-25-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Re: When a flop bet comes from your right....

I raise the flop - if MP3 is on a flush or straight draw you want to cut his pot odds in half - also, if he has a big hand (which his turn bet is telling you he does, since it is hard to believe that the 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] helped him) he may shoot his load and 3-bet you on the flop.

You will not be able to drive out UTG+1 if he is on a flush/straight draw - and whether he knows it or not he should not drop, because the odds he is getting are huge (unless MP3 3-bets, in which case the odds are good, but not huge.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:55 PM

I like it plenty. Waited til the big bet street to raise and thus protect your hand, called down the ace. Nothing to complain about here. Sorry about MP3 rivering that flush, though.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:36 AM

I don't think this is the right situation for that line. It's designed more for bigger pots/more opponents.

Here, you have a chance to try to get it heads-up on the flop. Take it. There all sorts of hands MP3 could have that don't want to call two bets on the flop. Now, if you knew MP3 had two spades or an OESD, you'd want to wait for the turn, but that's obviously not the case.

Also, unless MP3 is a major LAG, there's no way your hand is good when he raises the river.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:38 AM

Raising the turn is for when the pot is very, very large. Here the pot is still smallish, so you should definitely raise the flop to knock out draws (if possible), and also to increase your expectation.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it plenty. Waited til the big bet street to raise and thus protect your hand, called down the ace. Nothing to complain about here. Sorry about MP3 rivering that flush, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ignore this, it's incorrect.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:53 AM

I appreciate the help, guys.

So, in sum, when a flop bet comes from my right when I have an overpair, I wait for the turn to raise only if
1) the pot is big
2) at least two players to act after me.

Do I got it?

Thanks-

Jeff
Old 07-26-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising the turn is for when the pot is very, very large. Here the pot is still smallish, so you should definitely raise the flop to knock out draws (if possible), and also to increase your expectation.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-26-2005, 02:04 AM

IM glad u took back that post Pax [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
A blank hit on the turn and u still got three bet when u went to protect. MP3 shouldve never saw the turn if that 2 in fact did help him.
SB is trying to protect his pair unless he is incorrectly using a semi bluff into a preflop raiser.
U also have redraws to a king high flush which is great if someone is four flushed here. I believe u even have a runner st8 draw too.

Ur in good shape [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]