Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Today\'s CardPlayer quiz

What's your thoughts on just calling the turn on today's CardPlayer quiz? I've posted the quiz and Ciaffone's response below.

You're putting in 33% of the money from this point on and you're about 32.6% to win the pot assuming all your outs are good.

Would you raise for value here?

Ciaffone implies that a raise here only serves to knock out the two callers.

Question:

A $10-$20 game. You limp from middle position with the 7-6 behind two early players who limp. The small blind limps. There is $50 in the pot and five players. The flop is: 8-4-2, giving you a gutshot straight-draw and a backdoor flush-draw. The small blind bets. The big blind and one of the early limpers call. You call. There is $90 in the pot and four players. The turn is the pretty T, giving you a flush-draw and a double belly-buster straight-draw with any nine or five. The small blind bets. The big blind calls. The early limper folds. What do you do?

Ciaffone's Answer:

Call. You have 15 outs with any spade, five, or nine. The choice is between semi-bluff raising with your big draw or just calling. With two opponents, it seems unlikely that they will both fold if you raise. Heads-up, a raise on the expensive street might win the pot outright, depending upon the caliber of your opponent, but with two opponents, calling is likely better.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Today\'s CardPlayer quiz

If you call you can fold unimproved on the river and likely get in a raise when you hit. Your hand has no showdown value, so you cant raise, then check behind when you miss.

I like a call.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 PM

The gut instinct is that when Ciaffone says call, the correct play is probably raise, but in this case call looks right.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:34 PM

By raising here to get small value you cost yourself a raise on the river when you hit.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:54 PM

If I'm reading this right, I think the post flop play was off...
If the HERO is last to act, and is going to draw, I would rather raise here, for a free card.

You will build the pot, gain an edge (might win the pot just by betting...taking this many callers on this flop mean that they are holding overc-ards and hoping an A,K or Q might hit), and if you hit your draw you still have a chance to raise on the river.
Again I would only use this play in a real card room, where table image and reading opponents have more to do with playing cards.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:03 PM

if the limpers are the terrible kind i play against usually i oftentimes raise preflop. makes the hand much easier to control postflop, get free cards when i want, get a good idea of where my opponents are at, sometimes get the button, etc. as for the turn yeah just call. sb likes his hand. no sense in raising there.