Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 06:17 PM

Default AJs vs. TAG

villain was a 24/16/4.5 TAG, could be tricky, seems like a solid player. I think his image of me is a bit looser preflop than mine of him, and perhaps a tad tighter postflop.

This hand didn't really feel right, but I keep looking back over it, and I can't find where I made a big mistake.

I haven't seen him do anytihng terribly noteworthy in ~500 hands, so I don't think he flopped a monster, or has QQ, JJ, TT as he would very likely cap these preflop. On the flop I don't think he has a K, as he probably would be inclined to take WA/WB here against my 3 betting range, so I think a smaller pocket pair, or him making a move with AJ/AQ, which he knows I may have as well, are likely here.

Converter is McBrokey so I had to rewrite this, and I don't know the 6max position conventions, but MP opened 2nd to act.
Party Poker (3/6 6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">[i]UTG fold, MP raises, CO folds, hero reraises, 2 folds, MP calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> ~7SB
MP checks, hero bets, MP raises, hero reraises, MP calls.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> ~7BB
MP bets, hero calls.

<font color="red"> The turn bet confuses me, and I honestly have no idea what it means from this guy. My thinking at the time was that if he did have AJ or AQ, he would likely know that I was making my decision whether or not to see showdown on the turn, and would not continue on the river. I thought he would also have a smaller PP that I was drawing live against fairly often. </font>

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> ~8.5BB
MP bets, <font color="red"> </font> Hero folds.

Final Pot:
Old 07-25-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: AJs vs. TAG

I think this is major spewing. Against a tight raiser AJ isn't great. Yes its suited, and preflop I reraise this all the time, but it can be easily dominated--don't treat it like its gold when someone shows strength postflop. I think you have a clear fold on the flop. I don't think I would even call the C/R. At taht point you're probably drawing to 3 outs IF that.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: AJs vs. TAG

Well to rephrase myself in the OP, 16% pfr isn't *that* tight. He was opening UTG+1 on a 5 handed table, so he has a fairly wide range of hands here. I have fair sample size with this player, and I know that he would ALWAYS cap AA, AK, KK, QQ, JJ, probably TT and AQs. Therefore, I have at least 3 outs, 4-4.5 counting the BD nut flush draw. I also didn't think he c/rs a K here, but was not positive. I have 6-7 outs a significant portion of the time. Some of the time he WILL c/r me here with a worse hand, he mixes up his play with a pretty appropriate frequency from what I saw. I could easily call the c/r for equity getting at least 9:1, but I felt a 3 bet on the flop would likely buy me a free river, and would protect me from folding the best hand on the turn if I just called. When he leads the turn again, it could mean 4 things. He did c/r me with a K on the flop, he has a smaller pocket pair that he thinks is good and wants me to prevent pealing (might be planning on folding to a turn or river raise), he has a naked A and is trying to buy half the pot, or he is on a pure bluff.