Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Simple handreading

[ QUOTE ]
The only made hands that beat you are 68s/64s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would Villain ever bet this flop, to have the hero raise and knock people out? If he is going to draw to a gutshot he will want everybody coming with to the turn and so will check / call the flop.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find it funny how you act like a teacher on this board and don't really know/have a lesson plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think sfer ever claimed to be a teacher. I would point out however that he was on a short list of about half a dozen posters whose recent absence from the SS boards were lamented by a huge number of regualr SS posters. You don't have to like this particular post. However, statments like the above will have the effect of chasing away from this board one of the top posters (and a fine individual I might add) to the detriment of the rest of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's going to leave in a hissy fit because one poster thought his hand exercise was crummy ... maybe he should spend some time in the psychology forum.

~ Tilts
Old 07-25-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you told us what limit this was it would help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just noticed this. Please explain your different lines for Party 3/6, 20/40 and 15/30. It was one of the three.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waste of time. It's a crummy example to illustrate hand reading, as people have pointed out, and wasting more time explaining what to do in differentially-aggressive games is useless.

I find it funny how you act like a teacher on this board and don't really know/have a lesson plan.

~ Tilts

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. I'll stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, please don't. To quote a conversation I once had with bakku:

bakku: I love Dave.
me: Yeah. Me too.
bakku: He's awesome.
me: Yeah. I think so too.
bakku: Vegas is going to rock.
me: Yeah. I think so too. Too bad Josh won't be there.
bakku: Yeah, but Dave is.
me: Yeah, I love Dave. That was awesome when he owned you by 5-bet bluffing with 3 high.
bakku: Shut up nit.
me: Okay.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People don't limp AA because they're not aggressive, they do it because they're "tricky". This is why I dislike straight numbers based reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tricky players will sometimes limp AA first in, or even second in, in order to generate more action preflop. They will very rarely limp AA behind 2 limpers, as they already have more than enough action for their hand. Further, a halfway decent player (and villian's statistics were indeed halfway decent) will limp behind 2 players with AA and then not 3-bet when it gets raised behind approximately 0% of the time. I would much sooner give him credit for 68s (which wouldn't be out of character behind 2 limpers) than for AA; the reason I doubt 68s is because it makes less than zero sense to lead into the PFR on a K high flop with nothing more than a gutshot and high card 8.

Anyway, it's been long enough so I'll repost what I had said earlier: villian has a smaller set something approaching 100% of the time in this hand. Based on the PT numbers provided, villian is aggressive enough to continue betting/raising with his set at least until it is 2 bets on the river. So Hero doing anything other than 3-betting the turn (and then continuing to raise wherever possible) would be leaving bets on the table.

I do not discount the possibility of 55 in this hand, particularly if it was played on 20/40 or 30/60 as sfer intimated it might have been. This is a fairly typical line for a good player to take with 55 in this situation.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:06 PM

You're arguing a point I'm not making. My only point is that pure numbers driven reads suck.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My only point is that pure numbers driven reads suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based purely on numbers, since I have no way of knowing who the villian was let alone any specific reads sfer or I have on him, I have arrived at the conclusion that villian does not have AA. I trust that read completely.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you told us what limit this was it would help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just noticed this. Please explain your different lines for Party 3/6, 20/40 and 15/30. It was one of the three.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waste of time. It's a crummy example to illustrate hand reading, as people have pointed out, and wasting more time explaining what to do in differentially-aggressive games is useless.

~ Tilts

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay. I'll stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't stop posting, as others have already said you are one of the best posters on this board.

Don't let the majority of the board get punished because of a borderline troll like Tilts who has wonderful gems like this.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's going to leave in a hissy fit...

[/ QUOTE ]

Where's this hissy fit you speak of.. I'd like to read it.

ps. I'm mesmorized by your avatar. I gotta get out more.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
villian has a smaller set something approaching 100% of the time in this hand

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't think this is true. People will play top pair like this a lot, as the pfr is willing to raise with many worse hands than a pair of Kings on the flop, like QQ-88 or sometimes even AQ-A8, depending on the table history. Not that it's necessarily the best line to take given that the pfr doesn't necessarily have a set of kings, but it's a line that is often used.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My only point is that pure numbers driven reads suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based purely on numbers, since I have no way of knowing who the villian was let alone any specific reads sfer or I have on him, I have arrived at the conclusion that villian does not have AA. I trust that read completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
PLUS Sfer has only seen him for 2 orbits so like 4 or 5 hands max w/ his VPIP.

[/ QUOTE ]
(unless Sfer states otherwise, I don't know how reliable #'s are in this hand)

I think you are right that we aren't seeing AA here very often if at all, but w/ the info we had provided I don't think it was horrible to include it in range of hands. I think you're right though, that it can be tossed out now. I participated in this post in hopes of getting a better grip on how everyone else puts people on hands (how and why). Thanks for the input so far!