Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 04:12 PM

Default push or fold?

empire 100 buy in NL

dealt Jd Jc in MP1 ($201)

UTG limps
I raise to 4 in MP1
SB ($140), BB ($112) and UTG ($267) call

flop 2d 2h, 2s
SB, BB and UTG check
I raise 11

SB check raises to 40
BB and UTG fold

??????

at the time I had played about 70 hands with the SB and he had a vip of 22 and pfr of 8.

I cant see any reason to call because no cards can make me feel that much better about my hand. A reraise but that pretty much commits me to going all in and the stacks are reasonably deep.

I put him on either a A2s or a pair smaller than mine.

I let this one go with only 15 dollars because I was not willing to go to the felt is this too pussy of a play. Should I hang my head in shame? Too me it just felt like A2s even though it was more likely he have 55 or some small pair.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: push or fold?

I don't think there is any way he check-raises with quad 2's - I would guess he is playing something like 9's or 10's here - I would push
edit - and hope he calls
Old 07-25-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I put him on either a A2s or a pair smaller than mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a hard time seeing a guy w/ VP$IP 22 call a raise with A2s. But aside from that, if you put him on either 2x or a smaller pair then call and stack him? One way for him to have a deuce lots of ways for him to have a smaller pair.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:19 PM

call the flop, pushing will push out a lower pocket pair (which is most likely)

play the turn to get the stacks in the middle. you win this too often to play it so weakly.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:14 PM

I agree. I really doubt he's pushing quads that hard, unless he's that tricky. If he is that tricky to try to manipulate you into pushing against his quads, then fold, but I don't know too many players at this level who are that good. I think he either has smaller pocket pair than you or two big cards and is just trying to steal this pot. I personally reraise him all in, b/c there are too many bad cards that can hit on the turn. Any ace, king, queen, or any card that gives him a better boat. I think it's worth the risk, and depending on your opponent, you will often get someone to call the all in with 10-10 or 9-9.