Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: When the heck did I get to be WEAK-TIGHT?!?!?

In most cases worrying about set over set is bad. But what do you put him on in this case??

Indy
Old 07-25-2005, 02:51 PM

id be concerned with a set of 7's. other than that, not too much else that you gotta worry about. odd thing is, aside from a set of 7's, theres no other hand that he has that he wasn't "donking" with at some point in the hand

id call because its not too much money, theres certainly enough of a chance hes donking, and also because you have a very strong hand and very strong hands are hard to beat. (very limited combinations of hands- only 6- that you lose to
Old 07-25-2005, 02:56 PM

I can't see folding a set on that rainbow board. He is more likely to have 56 and a backdoor flush draw, or Q7 or even AQ than 777 or QQQ. I can't give credit for that here, and the stacks aren't that deep anyway. He's only got 550 left, and there is around 300 in dead money in the pot to begin with, you've gotta call another 400 or so to win around 800, i think you are ahead more than enough times to call here.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:56 PM

Comments on the hand:
reads - you're not being aggressive, and you know it. Label yourself "rock-like foldmonkey" until you fix this.

Flop: an average player just raised you $425 more, with $357 in the pot. You don't just have to suspect a set to fold here, you have to be really damned sure of a set. Fact is that sometimes you'll lose... but you won't lose enough to make it unprofitable.

Comments on being a weak-tight foldmonkey:
Never forget that you're gambling. You win by having the most money at the end of the year, not by having the best win at showdown percentage.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:07 PM

With the stack sizes in question I really wouldn't worry about putting him on a hand but I think AK,KQ,mid-small pp, and all sorts of wierd 2 pr combinations are all possibilities. If stacks were deeper I might be a little more hesitant but even then barring a great read I probably call, why would someone play a set that fast on such a nice flop. Just try to keep in mind a set is rare, when you do actually flop one you need to be prepared to go to the felt with it almost always(and you will rarely be wrong in doing so). JMO
Old 07-25-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Comments on the hand:
reads - you're not being aggressive, and you know it. Label yourself "rock-like foldmonkey" until you fix this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Especially since that when I was pitching my cards into the muck I was patting myself on the back for a great laydown. 30 seconds later, I realized I should have been kicking myself in the a$$ instead.

Mistakes are designed to be learned from. I just learned a big lesson. Self taught too!! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]