Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 02:42 PM

Default What to do against a loose passive but creative player?

I have come across a loose passive player that is killing me. I'm not sure if I'm playing the best way to maximize my winnings in the long run. Basically general idea of the situation. 10 man ring game. LPP loves to limp with anything and i mean anything from 73s, 102s, q9o. Likes to go 1-on-1 with these types of hands against raisers. Not getting odds or nothing but willing to call 10xBB out of position with these hands. I've played with LPP for 5 hours and he loves to gamble and takes gigantic swings. I can't seem to take big pots from him. I haven't had any hands that I can be agggressive with when he is in. I'm on the button and he is EP 2ndpos. I Help I think I may have a leak?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: What to do against a loose passive but creative player?

WARNING: You may be putting him in the wrong category and refusing to adjust.

If he is truly loose/passive: If you find yourself going heads up against him, bet your small hands for value and stop trying to push him out of the pot. If he raises, you are likely beat and should fold, unless you notice him bluffing sometimes.

If he is only loose preflop and then plays solid poker, just avoid him as much as you can until you can read his postflop play.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:07 PM

also you could kind of be perma-tilting against this guy and hoping that you can take a big chunk from him. You might be pushing too hard against this one opponent and making bad plays that you normally wouldn't because of your desire to "stick it to him."
Old 07-25-2005, 03:56 PM

I play against a lot of loose passive loose aggressive players in my home games.

Basically their entire game is they try to use deception, but they're moderately smart players who play their game on pure implied odds. IE: they think that sneaking in to see a flop with 108s has a large deceptive value, so when they hit bottom two pair or a sraight and a flush draw, they get maximum implied odds against you...who is betting your TPTK "knowing" that they have nothing trying to get them out.

The loose passive players I play with BRAG about playing all sorts of hands. The reason being, is that they make more money with the crap preflop hands that become strong hands after the flop, because you think they have nothing just because they most likely started with nothing.

They are frustrating to play with...

A) because if you always do their betting because you think that they have nothing, and they keep calling pot sized bets only to flip over something that destroys your TPTK.
B) they fold after flops they don't hit
C) they don't raise enough to give away their hands, so just like A, it's more reason to bet into them

I always play extra tight against these players. The problem with their playing style, is that often times they call bets OOP while drawing dead with low pair. You just have to be patient.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:13 PM

Thanks for the help. He is very smart, in a sense where he doesn't get into big pots unless he's got something better then top pair. He calls an assortment of hands no matter the pre-flop bet. If he catches anything...he'll call any bet on the flop. So far this has been my strategy. Play very tight, raising only with hands i'm very comfortable being aggressive with. I pot the flop and if he calls i play very cautious with my top pair top kicker. if i have two pair or better i'm coming hard on the turn, but if there's no draw i'm taking small chunks till the river. My ? is, is there a better way to maximize my winnings against him. so far he hasn't won a big hand against me, since I'll slow down if he calls a flop. But, more times than not, I miss the flop and he's hit something and has won more money from me than i have taken from him. My worry is, if there are more players like him on a table, how can i maximize my winnings? thanks for the help