Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 01:47 PM

Default I played this wierd.

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.25 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (3.75 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___double raises
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (9.88 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (13.88 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

River - (13.88 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks
Seat 5: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (13.88 BB)

My main questions...6th and 7th does anyone bet? Comments anywhere appreciated.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: I played this wierd.

I don't understand why you played 4th the way you did. You created a jumbo pot that it will be tough to get anyone out of. Regardless, I would bet 6th and probably check 7th.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet 6th and probably check 7th.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have said the exact opposite, I would perfer to check 6th and bet 7th. After5th you have to question if your hand is any good getting all those callers but when it is checked around on 6th you have to assume that your queens up are good.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:33 PM

You should have raised 3rd (maybe you would have had more info and the hand would have played easier).

6th and 7th: with 1 Ten left to fill, you are not likely to make a full house so it's a matter of whether Queens-up will win the pot. I think there is a good chance it will not but with your opponents having a lot of duplicated cards I'd bet 6th and take a free showdown on 7th in this case. You could be up against a couple small pairs and a pair of naked Aces. A lot of if's, but if you bet 6th you are less likely to be "bet" out of the pot on 7th.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:23 PM

I didn't raise 3rd because it would (at best) have gotten the bring in to toss his hand. I doubted anyone else was going anywhere. I wanted to wait for 4th to come alive. Of course, that street became a fiasco of its own.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you played 4th the way you did. You created a jumbo pot that it will be tough to get anyone out of.

[/ QUOTE ]

What better time to do it? He didn't know the yahoos behind him were going to call.

Note, as has been pointed out before, it is best in these games to raise for value, not to knock others out.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:55 PM

Free cards are worse than free showdowns in my book. But our real disagreement is that I think our hand is good often enough. You can't be scared by people calling you in limit poker, it's going to happen. And noone caught anything on 5th or 6th that is THAT scary. On 7th you can't see what people catch, and that's when you're more likely to be beat IMHO.

I need to come up with a better way to phrase all this. A lot of my play in situations like this comes from my hold'em instincts, but I find that it works. Unfortunately me just saying that isn't going to convince YOU that it's true.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:12 PM

I think I understand what you're saying here. I didn't bet 6th for two reasons. First, I just got reduced to one out to fill up (and that make me hate my move on 4th). Second, I was pretty certain the bring in had aces so I was a little worried he somehow hit aces up. If I had not acted quickly and took a second to think on this, I would have bet 6th given he didn't obviously make two pair and if he raised me I could fold given I only had a weaker two pair with no means of improving.

On 7th there are too many ways for him to make aces up (or someone else to make a better hand) that I don't think I'd bet in this position.