Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Is This a Call Preflop Aces Situation? 5/10NL

$700 or so might look like an isolation raise with something you limped UTG like TT/JJ. Have you been seen limping UTG with these?
Old 07-25-2005, 05:43 AM

Default reply: i\'m a ridiculous heater

[ QUOTE ]
I (cover) have AA UTG and limp, four calls to SB (shortstack, 200) who pushes, BB (2K) calls, I?

the limpers behind me will fold 90% of the time here, they all have 1000 or less.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

so i called, which you guys have done a good job of convincing me was a bad play, and then got fiscally fellated by my new best friend in MP who had AQs and decided to re-isolate, shoving in for 1.1K, it got back to me (BB said he folded QQ) and i pulled a monster pot against SB's AK and MP's AQ.

who needs to play good when you can play bad and get lucky?

fim
Old 07-25-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: reply: i\'m a ridiculous heater

I'm a fan of the raise to $900 because it puts pressure on the BB and gives him an opportunity to make a mistake. Put the pressure on and see how they react.

"But On The Other Hand" (that's a C&W song title) your smooth call with four (or three?) players left to act gave one of them an opportunity to make a mistake. When you lead a good clean life you get breaks like that.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:12 PM

The reason I don't like calling is because after the UTG limp, and then an overcall of an all-in, your opponent is going to be very wary and then when you start betting into a dry sidepot, it's going to be ridiculously easy for sb to get away from many hands that he might call with preflop (AK, AQ, 88-JJ).
I know that the limp reraise screams of strength, but there is at least a possibility that if you make it 600 or 700 sb will think you're trying to push him off and get some dead money in against the shortstack. Once you see a flop and bet into the sidepot, I think you only get action if you're behind.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:12 PM

Calling isn't as terrible as everyone is making it out to be. That's because someone might think you are trapped, and reraise, and you can get more people all in preflop. Anyone with a decent hand after you has a very good chance of pushing to isolate.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

500 is still giving him just about the right implied odds. 300 to call, he's got 1500 more behind, and 900 in the pot, so he's getting 8:1. He is 7.5:1 to flop a set if he's got a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically he needs more than 8:1 because of the chance of getting set over set. Its not like you win 100 percent of the time when you hit your set against an over pair...but still it is close.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:39 PM

I think you need to raise here and start a side pot. The biggest problem I see is that without a side pot, there is no real incentive for action after the flop with a one pair hand, so I don't think you can get anymore from the BB on most of the hands you are ahead of post flop. There are some scenarios that work, but they all involve BB having a big pair to start with (action now should not chase that hand out) or catching top pair or a big draw, which is not very likely.

There is 600 and change in the pot, BB has 1800 left after his call. I would raise to 800 total, leaving his stack and the side pot both at about 1200, with the intent of pushing the flop. That gives him a chance to play back pre flop, or pay you off on the flop.

Calling seems like you let BB off the hook big time, since the pot is somewhat protected by the all in guy. He can fold eaisly to any real action, or stack you if he hits a big hand (and you can't let go).
Old 07-25-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i assume you are pushing any flop?

if so, ok i guess

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not double to 400 preflop, give him odds to call and then push if you're going to go about it this way?

I am always open to opinions as to how a hand should be played but I'm going to refuse anyone telling me this can ever be a call. Isn't this the perfect situation for aces? I'm gunning it up to around 1000 so I can autopush the flop. I'll preflop more if I think I can get a call. If they all fold, fine.

The real danger with calling here is that you might get a caller behind you and could find yourself in a dangerous situation on the flop if the SB bets out before you. Calling must be massive -EV.