Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Preflop decision with AQ, late stages of tournament

Any advice here would be appreciated. These are the decisions that I struggle with in MTT's.

Pacific Poker $15 + $1 MTT, 10K guaranteed : 662 people
Down to 42 people
Blinds @ 1500/750 (were going up to 2000/1000 withing a couple of minutes)
Already in the money, but was trying to at least get to final table
Average stack: around 28,000

UTG= 35210
UTG+1= 12336
UTG+2= 1224
Hero= 12164
MP2=33377
CO=8247
Button=2950
SB= 19920 (after posting 750 blind)
BB(villan)= 9965 (after posting 1500 blind)

Table had been somewhat passive except for the big stacks (MP2 and SB). Villian had not played a hand in quite a while, or at least one that I had noticed.He had gotten to the point he was at by going all in with AA when he had around 4000 chips and it held up. MP2 would frequently reraise heavy anyone that did not go all- in. He was playing his big stack well. Everyone else except SB seemed to be in a ALL-IN or fold situation.

Hero dealt AQos
Action folded around to Hero.
What is your move?

I will provide more details later based on responses. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Preflop decision with AQ, late stages of tournament

Well, its obvious you have to fold.

Seriously though, this is a pretty easy decision. Raise 3-4 BB. If the big stack plays back at you, well you have a decision to make. Likely you end up with your chips in the middle. If the small stack calls, great. 90% of the time, the worst you are at is a coin flip.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:29 PM

There is but one move. In.

Vince
Old 07-25-2005, 12:34 PM

I'm pushing here. While you normally like to give yourself a chance to fold to a reraise with AQ, only one player has enough chips to make you fold, and putting in 1/3 of your chips and then folding is a lousy option anyway. I'll give up that small amount of equity in order to get maximum folding equity from the other stacks.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:35 PM

Based on what you said in your notes on the big stack, I would raise normal and then call when he comes over the top. You have to get lucky at this point, and double up while it still means something if you want to make the final table. Normally I would say to push here, but you implied that the big stack would probably fold if you did, and I think you want him calling. If you calls, you're pretty much pushing any flop, although you'd much rather see all your money in the middle preflop.

Just my opinion
Old 07-25-2005, 12:41 PM

Re: Preflop decision with AQ, late stages of tournament

I dont see what you could be waiting on. When the blinds raise you'll be at 6BB left. You cant hope for a better opportunity than now. Push

You are likely to get called by a worse Ace, KQ, KJ, etc.. Any pocket pair <= JJ is a race, but if you want to make it to the final table you need to start doubling up or busting out. If you get called by AA, KK, QQ or AK, oh well.you took your shot, that's how it goes.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:48 PM

I apologize, I misread the original post and thought the table was 6 handed at this point. I change my opinion to PUSH.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:17 PM

i wouldn't mind a raise to 3.6k or so if you think there is a very good chance MP2 will push. my default is pushing. if you do raise, do not fold to a reraise unless there are several all-ins behind you.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Results

Thank you for all the responses. Of course the reason I posted this scenerio is because it was my bust out hand and I always question whether I did the right thing or not. I went pushed with the intention of stealing the blinds and if called hopefully not being in that bad of shape. I also did not want to give the guy to my left the option to reraise me so I felt it was an push or fold situation. I pushed, it folded around to the BB who waited about 30 seconds, called....flop is J,2, Q, then 2 blanks, he is holding pair of Jacks for a set. Once again, I always question myself when I bust out, just wanted some thoughts from you guys whom I value your opinion.
Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:35 PM

Vince is right. The way you listed blinds 1500/750 threw me off. I was reading the 750 as the BB number. With your current stack, you have to move in.