Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Caught in a Squeeze Play

Initial bettor has been opening often, but my hand isn't strong enough to reraise here, imo. So where am I against the raiser? It's middle tourny, still a long ways from the money, and I am hurting for chips so I really want this to be a raise with air.

Whats my line?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter

MP2 (t4780)
MP3 (t9707)
CO (t4170)
Button (t4630)
SB (t1670)
BB (t2080)
UTG (t4880)
UTG+1 (t6395)
Hero (t3335)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t600</font>, Hero calls t600, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t1600</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???
Old 07-24-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Caught in a Squeeze Play

I would think mp2 has the same read on utg as you did and thinks he can push you both away. I would push because of where you are with chips and hope for the best. I am only a newb for what it's worth.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the response. A push sounds better than calling. It just looked so textbook, but I was still afraid holding 99.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:49 PM

IMO your mistake was calling the raise here to begin with.

I know your dilema with 99, but if you have a tight image here, I raise all in, and be happy to take his 600, or at least give him few outs.

Yes sometimes you are flipping a coin vs. 2 overs, but a guy open raising this much is likely to just have 1 over. I would raise all in to isolate if I am going to put 20% of my stack in on a call anyways.

If you are worried others are still to act and will re-raise, then I would say folding is okay.

But if you call, and others call - are you really just hoping for a set? cause unless you flop unders, it will be hard to bet into a family pot with just a pair of 9s.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:55 PM

how about calling and pushing any flop although villian will prolly call maybe [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how about calling and pushing any flop although villian will prolly call maybe [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is - you are inviting someone behind you to make a move, or wake up with a hand like what happened here.

If you were in a LP, or a blind, I would like it, but not with so many still to act. TO big a risk it won't be heads up.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:56 AM

I think I was playing tight enough and strong enough post-flop to call, and switch gears to set value if it did get overcalled behind. I knew I had the first guy beat, it was the raise behind that threw me off. I also get chip hungry at this level, so I take a few more risks (definite leak). That's why I posted this.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If flop is low cards, you'll get called by overpairs/sets and high cards will fold. If flop is high, you'll get called by flopped pairs and fold missed high cards.

Basically, the only time you'll get a better hand to fold is if the flop comes AKx and you push, QQ-TT will probably fold.

As far as the hand goes, I've got to think that the squeeze player has a strong hand (unless he's an idiot), since the preflop raise and call were both from EP. Also, his raise isnt all that much, so he's somewhat inviting a call from one or the other of you. I think an overpair or AK is much more likely here than a weaker hand. Probably would fold it preflop and save those 1000 chips for a better opportunity.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:35 AM

I don't think you have enough post flop maneuvering room. I think it is best to just push the 99 after the first raise.