Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Crazy Action, Flopped top set. 2/5 NL

2/5 online.

Game is pretty decent. Player A is tricky, very aggressive, and will bluff when he senses weakness. Player B is relatively solid, but a huge call station. A-700, B-1000, I have about 1200.

A is on SB, B is on BB. Fold, Fish raises to 10, Call, I call with 77, blinds both call.

Flop is 7c 2s 6h. Check Check, Raiser Bets 25, I call, A calls, B calls.

Turn is 5d. A bets 35, B calls, Raiser pushes 49, I make it 124.

Here is where it gets interesting. A pushes all in to 540. Then B calls (with about 300 behind). Action is on me.

Pot is huge, I have top set, and am only behind 2 hands.

Wtf do I do?
Old 07-25-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Crazy Action, Flopped top set. 2/5 NL

[ QUOTE ]
2/5 online.

Game is pretty decent. Player A is tricky, very aggressive, and will bluff when he senses weakness. Player B is relatively solid, but a huge call station. A-700, B-1000, I have about 1200.

A is on SB, B is on BB. Fold, Fish raises to 10, Call, I call with 77, blinds both call.

Here is where it gets interesting. A pushes all in to 540. Then B calls (with about 300 behind). Action is on me.

Wtf do I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you're behind, you only need a little more than 3:1 to call to hit the nut boat, and that's what you're getting. So let's dispense with folding.

The question is, does calling station have the straight, or are you ahead of him? Meh. You'll have to call him anyway if he bets his last 300 on the river, so you might as well put it in now.

This kills your odds if he actually has the straight, but you'd have to think he'd bet or raise somewhere with the straight.

In summary, raise all-in.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:14 AM

Is it horribly weak to raise the flop here? I'm used to playing deep stack PL rather than NL but with two deep stacked opponents I'd rather raise here to try and isolate one of the big stacks,stop someone turning a mystery bigger set, and hopefully help me narrow the range of hands that my opponents may have so I have more of a clue if something hits on the turn.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:17 AM

uh why are we not raising the flop in a 4 way pot?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2/5 online.

Wtf do I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

raise the flop, put it in on the turn.

fim
Old 07-25-2005, 03:33 AM

This is a fantastic flop to raise and represent something like 88/99. Not to mention people with SC might stick around.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
uh why are we not raising the flop in a 4 way pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not raise the flop because A will raise or fold here a large percent of the time. There is no real draw, and hardly any scare cards that can come that really worry me. I wanted one of the players to hit something so that I could stack them.

I suppose I should have raised the flop, but I got greedy and wanted a BIG POT!
Old 07-25-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I suppose I should have raised the flop, but I got greedy and wanted a BIG POT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Then obviously the correct play is to push. Don't worry about B because he is a calling station. He probably has an A and the case 7, or maybe 2 pair. Player A could be making a move on the scare card to try to win your dead money in the allin pot.

It's very possible that you have the best hand here, and if you don't you have outs. If you plan was to get player A to get chips in the pot with a sub-optimal hand then you have to follow through with your flop plan.

Not raising the flop here is a huge mistake though.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:07 AM

Default RESULTS

Although B is a calling station, I still give a LOT of credit to the call after a bet, raise, and huge reraise.

Also, as much as A makes moves, I do not see him doing anything crazy here. I would say the range of hands here are a set and a straight for both players.

If I am up against 2 sets, I am in great shape.

If I am up against 1 set and 1 straight, I am in moderately bad shape, as I lost 3 outs to catch up.

If I am up against 2 straights, I am in better shape, and about a 3-1 dog.

RESULTS:

I lay the hand down. I wasn't quite sure if I was getting the odds to call, but it looked like I was getting less than 3-1 in the amount of time I had to call. I didn't like that. I had 20 seconds to decide, and backed down.

I figure about 60-70% I am up against a set and straight, and 30-40% up against 2 straights.

60% I am 5-1 dog.
30% I am 3-1 dog.
10% I am way ahead.

I don't think its such an obvious call that everyone thinks, but perhaps I should have called.

Anyway, both A and B had straights. A had 89, B had 84. Board didn't pair on the river.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:28 PM

You're getting slightly less than 3:1 on your money. You need to be getting 3.7:1 meaning that a call is not profitable. Further skewing you towards a fold should be the prospect that somebody else has a set or two pair, taking away outs. I've looked at the results, but I think you have to almost always assume that facing such action somebody has a straight and somebody else has a set-other than two straights it's the only way so much money is getting in there and 48 is definitely shown much less often than 22 or 66. Pretty clear fold.