Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 12:00 AM

Default PL Hand #7

First hand that I played so I posted.

EP1 ( $22.02 )
Button ( $18.88 )
Hero ( $25 )

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
2 calls, I check, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
EP1 Checks, EP2 min bets, I pot, button calls, BB calls, EP1 calls.

Bet pot and see if I can take it down. If not hopefully the turn will blank and I can pot again

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Checked to me, I check, Button checks.

Too many hands scare me here so I chicken out and hope to fill up

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
EP1 bets $1, I calls, Button calls.

I am getting very good odds. I contemplated going back over the top but this could very easily be someone with the nuts one way trying to milk the pot

Still trying to get the hang of when to push and when not to in this game.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: PL Hand #7

Why are you calling on the river? You dont beat anything, flush has you beat, straight has you beat, you dont even have top kicker for the 7, he could be betting just a low, but unlikely. Save your money here.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You dont beat anything,

[/ QUOTE ]
I beat two people chasing the low and do have 2nd kicker so I bet a lot of other 7's.

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you calling on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
I am calling the river because nobody has shown a ton of strength in the last 2 betting rounds and I am getting a little under 10:1 on my money. I think that with the weakness shown I will easily win the top 1/2 more then 1 in 5 times.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:43 PM

They always show me some sort of baby flush or baby straight in that spot, I dont know if I win that 1/5 given how the board looks and its the 25 level.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:57 PM

I think this is a tough hand. After you pot the flop and get called in two spots, I doubt your hand is good ... but you're getting 5-1 (10-1 total) on your money on the river, and I think 1/5 times theyll either both be going low or your kicker will be good.

BTW, anyone think of raising this river, in order to eliminate the 3rd player and play heads up with the initial bettor? Just throwing it out there.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:53 PM

river raise here is a very ambitious play. check it down after getting those callers after the flop. it's possible they were chasing the low. but, why tempt fate. check it down and be happy to win top 1/2 with just trips
Old 07-24-2005, 09:39 PM

You played it well, IMO. After two people call you on the flop, you're in a check/fold situation unless you improve. Maybe I feel differently if you have an A kicker (especially if you also have two other high cards). If it's heads up after the flop, you might try to take it down again on the turn, hoping you are up against a low draw, or that the flush scared him.

Never fold to a 1/10 pot bet on the river. Sets a bad precedent.