Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Opinions and Differences (books)

I've read through Holdem for Advanced Players many times, lately though I've stepped down in limit and decided to take a break from the higher limits and get down into the 2/4, 3/6 limit games. That being said, I was looking at the 'Small Stakes Holdem' book and wondering if this is something I should pick up that could help me out with my lower stakes games, or if it would just be a waste of money as I may already have the skills that it would teach me, and I just need to tighten up a bit or something.

In any case, what are the differences between these books? Is there anything I could learn from the Small Stakes book that wouldn't already be covered by Advanced Players? Would this be something that would be a good idea to pick up? or just a waste? (not that any knowledge could be a waste, but, I think you know what I mean.) Anyhow, any advice is appreciated!
Old 07-24-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Opinions and Differences (books)

SSH lays out the foundation for successful limit play. HFAP expands on that with some advanced techniques that you can use to maximize your profits against good opponents and situations that you're likely to encounter on more tight/aggressive mid- & high-stakes tables. I would highly recommend SSH regardless of the limits you play or the amount of experience/expertise you have--there is always more to learn and this is a quality book.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:34 PM

Small Stakes Hold'em is actually a very theoretically subtle book that will undoubtedly contain material that you have never thought of or encountered. I read it after reading HPFAP and actually found much of the material in SSH more thought provoking and more valuable to my game.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:05 PM

Now that was the perfect reply that I was looking for, first reply was great too, lots of help guys, Thanks, I'll have to pick it up soon.

If sklansky reads the forums make sure you get your kickback [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] hah