Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Missed a river bet?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think a raise would do much good here. He's almost certainly going to bet if I check. I think anything I beat here would just call, and anything that beats me would raise . Thus, I can win or lose 1 by check/calling, and win 1 or lose 2 by bet/calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not familiar with Interpoker, but I certainly think he'll call a raise with a worse hand. Expecting your opponents to play logically is just giving the vast majority of them way too much credit; the "bet and fold to a raise" on the river play is one that I've seen maybe twice in my time at the micros. More likely he will reraise because he thinks his K is good, or maybe call because he finally realized somebody could have him beat. In any case, I don't see most players getting so attached to their hands and then letting go of them after being checkraised on the river. Maybe that's just me, but I say raise and call a 3-bet if necessary on the river.

Without any other read on this player I don't think you can second-guess your other play too much. Checkraising the flop won't protect your hand, but it will get more money into the pot and not lose players, so I do like that idea. If more than one is on the draw, so much the better because they both have fewer outs, and you still have a nice redraw if a club falls on the turn. As you played it though, I might CR the turn after seeing that K fall, since that may very well get the PFR to continue betting, allowing you to trap the others for two big bets (one at a time). That's a bit more tricky though, since the K may stop QQ, JJ, or TT from betting the turn, and it risks getting checked through. In this case it probably would have been instantly 3-bet though, which might not have been such a terrible thing for you. If the callers fold for two more, there's dead money in the pot; if they call, you build the pot with what is almost certainly the best hand. If you get reraised on the turn making that play, you can still call and bet/call the river. If he raised PF with K9s, then bless his fishy little heart.