Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Limit O8 flopped weak FH

[ QUOTE ]
Way too likely you are good.

[/ QUOTE ]

J.V. - Think so? I would agree that Hero probably (but not surely) has a hand that would be a winner if the game stopped immediately after the flop.

However, the possibility of CO having a better fit with this flop than Hero is not at all in the monster under the bed category - and you seem to be entirely disregarding that possibility.

[ QUOTE ]
99 or 92 is much less likely than a bare nine

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. But that’s not all there is to it.

I think CO has a nine for the raise, very possibly with an ace kicker. Now... does CO also have the case deuce? That’s the concern. I’ll agree it’s a more likely than not that CO doesn’t also have the case deuce - but it’s surely not a slam-dunk.

Once you put the nine and the ace in CO’s hand, also putting the deuce there somehow doesn’t seem remote. Don’t misunderstand. I’m not claiming CO has the deuce. I think CO probably doesn’t have the deuce. But there seems a distinct possibility CO does have the deuce. CO posted, making it more difficult to read CO’s cards here. (If CO had not posted, I’d put CO on A29X, A39X, A49X or A59X or 99XY - but with the post it’s harder to tell. With the post, CO could have random cards - except that CO raised the flop bet after two limpers, and raising the flop doesn’t signify random cards.

If one disregards the possibility that CO already has nines full of deuces (or quad nines), then things are different. However, I don’t think Hero should disregard that possibility. It’s a subtle difference, and I’m not sure I making it clear enough that you can see it. But you seem to be making it black or white while in truth it’s grey.

Maybe I’m taking too conservative of an approach, but I really don’t like deuces full once someone starts acting like they might have a better full house (or quads). And yes, I’m fully aware that CO doesn’t absolutely need a full house (or quads) to raise this flop bet.

In last position with Hero’s hand, I might raise a bet myself, or surely would bet if nobody else did. But once Hero bets from early position and gets raised, the hand doesn’t look nearly as good to me.

Just my opinion.

Buzz
Old 07-22-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Results: Limit O8 flopped weak FH

[ QUOTE ]
There’s one more point that may not matter to you (or Hero), but that does matter to me. This game is my hobby. I’m playing this game to enjoy myself. And it’s no damned fun at all for me to suffer through a pounding from an opponent representing a better hand than I have, even when I end up with a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand. To each their own. But to me, that is exactly what poker is all about.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Limit O8 flopped weak FH

Fold as there are redraws to a back low and any heavy betting action indicates a better drawing hand