Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 11:36 AM

Default PS 11$+rebuys FT hand (88)

This hand has been bothering me a little, probably because I don't get to the FT too often, cause I'm more of a ring/sng player. If it is boring/standard, I apologize.

Button, SB and Hero have been playing together since 18 players left. Button and hero haven't got out of line and probably have tight "don't want to get involved in the big pot with marginal holding" image. SB is a big stack and has been pushing people around at will, raising and reraising often. When it was down to 2 tables, both button and hero have laid down to reraise from SB couple of times. Right now SB is running over the table, other players are pretty tight so far.

When it's folded to the button and he pushes, I think I can rule out AA,KK,QQ here. There is too big of possibility of SB calling or reraising so I don't think button would pass up an opportunity to get SB involved when he has a monster and position. I also don't think he is pushing with trash here. So his hand should have some showdown value, but I think he is just trying to pick up blinds here. SB was doing a lot of raising, but haven't been calling pushes, so there is a good chance button pushes us out here. So I put him on AT+, 66-TT, maybe JJ, maybe KQ.
SB folds. I think I'm ahead against button ranges of hands here (but barely, depending on including JJ and KQ - from 50 to 55%), there is about 160000 in the pot and about 125000 for me to call. I think it's too big of an edge to pass up and payout structure is very top heavy (1st is more than 10 times the 8th), plus I stil have 1.5BB left if I lose the hand =) So I call. Is my thinking right in this spot? I'm pretty sure I could move up at least a couple of spots if I fold here, for about 200$, but it's not that big of a difference comparing to top 3 prizes.

Opinions please.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t12000 ante is 600 (8 handed) converter

Button (t137693)
LAG SB (t428015)
Hero (t155970)
UTG (t309580)
UTG+1 (t202087)
MP1 (t61746)
MP2 (t82759)
CO (t124150)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t137093</font>, <font color="#666666">LAG SB folds</font>, Hero calls t125093.

Final Pot: t266386
Old 07-23-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: PS 11$+rebuys FT hand (88)

I personally grit my teeth and fold here. I never like calling for my whole stack with a hand as weak as 88's or calling all my chips with any hand for that matter. I prefer to be the one pushing than calling. The fact that you still have plenty of chips and a LAG to your right that is willing to raise a lot with less than premium hands, I think you'll find a better opportunity to repop the LAG and double through him instead of calling all in with the 88's in what's likely a coinflip situtation.

I'm not saying that calling is absolutely wrong, but against a player that has been fairly tight who is willing to put them all in against a LAG who has been playing table captain I just think a better spot will come along for you to double up and make a move.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Re: PS 11$+rebuys FT hand (88)

I think it's a question of whether or not you want to take a coin flip for of your money at this point. While you are getting the odds to race, at ~1.3 to 1, this is not an overwhelming argument to get involved, IMO. You're just a slight favorite against his range and it just seems like you could pick a better spot where you're the aggressor. Especially when you can attack stacks that will do less damage to you should things go badly.

FOITNOF,

-D.