Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Interesting Decision

This is a hand from a session last night that has me thinking what I should have done.

The table has been very passive post flop when a pair or a flush possibility shows up on the board. With the person who bets usually taking the pot.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???</font>

If I bet, I'm almost sure everybody will fold.

If I check, and a non 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] hits the board, I may lose to a Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The ideal situation would be for a 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the turn or the river and for both the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to be out in my opponents' hands. And, if no hearts hit the board, maybe I can still get a little money out of my opponents.

What would you do? Take almost the sure little pot or take a chance to make some more money?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Interesting Decision

Don't like the open-limp. Just bet the flop. We have different definitions of interesting...
Old 07-22-2005, 11:26 AM

Bet because people with hearts will draw and we want those draws to pay us off. There is no way for your opponents to know you already have the flush, so don't jump to the conclusion that everyone will fold. You might be betting KxTh or whatever.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:43 AM

I would fold this pf.
Bet the flop.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:43 AM

Surely bet here,

You will almost always see the river here, and you dont want larger hearts freerolling on you! If they all fold, you win it right? Take it when you can. Yea, you have flopped a monster DRAW, but it wont come to often, you should play this hand just like if you had 2 3 suited on bb and hit the flush, bet out hard, and hope another = suit doesnt drop.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would you do? Take almost the sure little pot or take a chance to make some more money?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check, let someone outdraw you for free, and learn your lesson.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:27 PM

a bigger heart (and probably a smaller one as well) will call you down and may outdraw you. so it goes. but, top pair will call you down as well, and if a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] doesn't fall, you'll get a decent pot. if they all fold, you still get the pot. seems pretty simple.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I bet, I'm almost sure everybody will fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The ideal situation would be for a 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the turn or the river and for both the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to be out in my opponents' hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

These two statements are directly contradictory.

Just bet the flop.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:41 PM

I am betting this no matter what.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:01 PM

Well, tempting as it was to try for the straight flush, I did the common sense thing and bet the flop. Everybody folded as I thought they would. Like I said the table had been very passive post-flop.