Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 11:25 AM

Default \"Stars 3R to 215\"

2 from the bubble Blinds 6/12K with 600 ante

Table has gone uber tight, of course but BB is the most aggressive player at the table

Hero UTG with JJ... 125K (just fold right)

Hand two from another table...

sometimes I dont get the play on these things

MP 65K MR to 24K
SS 22k AI
BB 300K calls

Checked all the way to the river and BB bets 24K with a board of A 9 K 5 10 no flush

MP folds
BB has 72os
and SS wins with J7 suited (Jhigh)

This was with 33 players left 32 gets 150 the rest get 215. I just find it funny how bad people play these Sats. and sometimes get rewarded for it.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: \"Stars 3R to 215\"

Hand 1 depends ENTIRELY on the shortstacks stack sizes. If you are the shortest stack then this is not a fold at all. However usually in satellites 10xBB is a medium stack for the bubble (once I played in a turbo satellite where the chipleader had 4 BB on the bubble! Though I haven't played many of those so that could be common), so thats a fold.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:39 AM

I was 13 out of 33 pretty well in, with 2 or 3 1-3 bb stacks.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2 from the bubble Blinds 6/12K with 600 ante

Table has gone uber tight, of course but BB is the most aggressive player at the table

Hero UTG with JJ... 125K (just fold right)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not a fold. Super-weak-tightie play, man. There's almost 24K in the pot before the hand begins, and your opponents aren't going to pick up AA-QQ enough to make folding correct. I'm ballparking that the odds of any of your opponents picking up AA-QQ are about 8-1 against, and those odds would have to be 6-1 or worse to make a fold correct.

Now...as to whether we shove or raise to 3x...we know that the BB is aggressive, but even he is not going to call an all-in without AA-QQ, AK. BUT, if we raise to 3x the big blind, an aggressive BB might reraise us all-in with a wider range of hands that will include a number of hands we will be in very good shape against. Since everyone is playing super-tight at this point, there's not a huge risk that we will have to see a flop out of position.

So raise to 3x the bb. It's a pot-committing raise, and you aren't folding at any point after you make this raise. (Well, maybe you can fold an AKQ flop...)But it's better than the all-in in that it improves the range of hands you will likely face.

Will
Old 07-22-2005, 11:53 AM

I agree. You should be aggressive here. The odds that the BB has a better hand are:

[3 * C(4,2)]/C(50,2) = ~1.5%.

Play to win.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:53 AM

Hand 1: easy fold, you should be in post and fold mode now. Let the blinds finish it, there's no way this can last 50 more hands. No need to bust anyone or do anything at all beyond what you've already accomplished.

Hand 2: These guys are the joy of the game. He should be celebrated and thanked for risking his seat trying to pick off the shortstacks. The only better guy to have on the bubble is the mid-stacked steamer who is dying to stand up to the bully.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:01 PM

I would suspect collusion in Hand 2. He's clearly trying to help the short stack out.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:08 PM

He's UTG here. Folding this hand IS playing to win. There are several 2-3BB stacks and he has 10BBs. Risk v reward, he can only lose here, he can't win more or improve his chances more than by folding everything, even the pretty hands.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:28 PM

But most of the time, near the bubble all of the 2-3 BB stacks are folding every single hand, regardless of what they hold...hoping to squeak into the money. In MTTs, I'm not playing to win bubble money, I'm playing to win 1st place money.

Edit: I'm not familiar with this tournament, so if this is one of those everyone past the bubble gets the same amount deals, I fold 100% of the time.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:50 PM

It's a satellite. 1st place gets sames as 31st. EASY FOLD. Basically, your job is to adjust the speed of your play so that the blinds go up at the worst possible time relative to your stack and the shorties at your table. That's it. Otherwise, post and fold.

gc
Closed Thread