Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Putting people on hands

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what do you mean "lower limits"- like .05/.10 and lower? yeah, there it is pretty much a crap shoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed Miller - we've got a problem!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was talking about hand reading being less effective at the lower end of the nanolimits, which in my experience is quite valid.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm glad you understood what he was saying. i had no clue what "Ed Miller- we have a problem!" meant...in fact i still don't [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2005, 11:00 AM

People arent supposed to be easy to read, and the deception gets worse than the low level stupitidy. Low limit players are easy to read. Theyre usually Loose, and bet their hands when they get them. Most are weak, so hardly ever raise (exception is PP 9+, they think their gold). Youll run into many ace chasers, and you can be nearly sure that if you hold tptk with KQ, and the ace spikes on the river and he raises you, hes sitting on a2 with low pair top kicker on the flop, or even a lone ace. At these tables, play big hands aggressively, and look to set up about any pocket pair, youll get so much loose action looking for their nearly dead hands, that even 22 will be very profitable. (loose it preflop if you dont hit it!)
cdl
Old 07-22-2005, 11:04 AM

Most players at $0.5/1 on Party are in love with any ace, and most can't tell the difference between A3o and AKs. They just call. So if the flop comes ace-rag, then you need to worry about two pair.

I see lots of preflop cold-callers holding an "any ace" hand. I don't know what it is about aces that have them so mesmerized.

Another easy read at lower limits is the limp-reraise, which means one of 2 things: an absolute monster hand or an absolute trash hand. There is no chance for suited connectors, middle pairs or unpaired face cards. You'd be surprised how often it ends up being absolute trash like T5o.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, there it is pretty much a crap shoot

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he took this line from your post and extrapolated to mean that you were saying nanolimits were unbeatable.

Boy, I'm just putting words in everyone's mouth today, hope it doesn't come back to bite me ... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i'm glad you understood what he was saying. i had no clue what "Ed Miller- we have a problem!" meant...in fact i still don't [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Low limits aren't a crap shoot. THey are places to make a lot of value bets and raises, a place to play marginal hands well, and a place to make a very good BB/hr rate. SSH talks about NOT thinking about these games as crapshoots, Because if you moved up levels to avoid these bad beats your hourly rate would plummet. That's what i meant by "ed miller - we've got a problem". I should have wrote this the first time!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2005, 11:21 AM

Correct, low limits are not a crapshoot they are incredibly beatable games. But reading hands becomes a crapshoot when your opponents are playing any odd hand in any odd manner. The bottom line is that when attempting to read hands you need to be able to expect your opponent to take certain predictable actions. I think that the odd thing is that this probably again gets very tough at the higher levels due to deception because again your opponents are not acting in a predictable manner. Don't know that one from personal experience, just venturing a guess.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always am trying to put people on hands when I am playing. When playing at the lower limits, I find this impossible since so many people misplay their hands at least pre flop. People don't raise with the hands they should and call with hands they should fold. Is there any way to at least get a range of hands with these types of players?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how it is at the lowest stakes, but at $.50/1, players become somewhat readable. But to read them, you have to be paying attention to individual characteristics. If you snooze through every hand you're not playing and suddenly wake up with a tough decision, hand-reading won't get you very far. You won't be able to say "he has Ac 6d", but you might be able to say "he has at least middle pair and it could be as strong as TPNK."
Old 07-22-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Low limits aren't a crap shoot. THey are places to make a lot of value bets and raises, a place to play marginal hands well, and a place to make a very good BB/hr rate. SSH talks about NOT thinking about these games as crapshoots, Because if you moved up levels to avoid these bad beats your hourly rate would plummet. That's what i meant by "ed miller - we've got a problem". I should have wrote this the first time!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

ah. i was merely responding to the OP's question of putting people on hands, not value betting and all that other stuff. people play nanos and just spew for the sake of doing it. getting reads is a "crap shoot" not the game itself.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Youll run into many ace chasers, and you can be nearly sure that if you hold tptk with KQ, and the ace spikes on the river and he raises you, hes sitting on a2 with low pair top kicker on the flop, or even a lone ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what would you do here in that situation, would you crying call or would you lay it down? My experience is if they are betting they usually have it.