Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: How would you play this hand preflop?

In a cash game I agree with your play.. It's a push. You can always go back to the wallet and rebuy, but in the long run, you'll make a shitload of money the rest of your life with good +EV plays like this.

You can only lose in a tournament once my friend. Why people with deep stacks would want to risk their tournament EV on a 46-48% shot, because there's "extra dead money that makes it +ChipEV" is incredible to me.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're bringing Cash Game EV plays into a tournament again.

Good luck winning all those coinflips with "dead money" in the pot. I'm sure the day you hit your 7 or 8 coinflips you'll win a tournament!

[/ QUOTE ]

sekrah is so good he can avoid marginal situations/coinflips and win every tournament.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure the day you hit your 7 or 8 coinflips you'll win a tournament!

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel like I'm living in a parallel universe to yours.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is where the ignore function comes in.

I rate the options as:
1. Push
2.Push
3. Push
4. Everything else.

Only hand you are really bent is AA. against KK and AK and QQ and so on you have some equity and everything else you have a positive play with the dead money. Given they'll fold a lot, you're in great shape with a push here. Almost a squeeze play because very rarely will the first guy fold and the second guy call unless he specifically has like 99-TT imo, but I've seen some stupider calls in my lifetime.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:33 AM

I'd raise to T2,500. SB can't have a hand here to just call. AQs is a great hand, way above MP opener minimums. I'm probably pushing the flop.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:34 AM

I avoid them when I can..

A-Q is garbage with a spray of perfume. Have fun playing that junk guys, I'll keep chopping away and adding to my stack.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I avoid them when I can..

A-Q is garbage with a spray of perfume. Have fun playing that junk guys, I'll keep chopping away and adding to my stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

give me a HH where you win a mutli like this, if you would. I'll eat as much crow as needed, but it can't be done with some gamboooooooooling. with approx 2k in this pot, I'm happy to shove with AQ. I'd probably even shove a lot lower.

EDIT - "a lot lower" should be more like "if they're really tight I don't need a hand here. basically is he's calling AK/AA/KK/QQ then shoving with any ace is probably ok, etc etc etc.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:38 AM

I don't mean to get in the middle of a tournament-vs-cash game debate, but if we're only concerned about MP (being the raiser), then Hero has him well-covered, and wouldn't go bust if his all-in lost.

If we think at all that SB is slowplaying something that beats AQs, then there is validity to the "you only lose a tournament once" argument. But the argument seems to be centered on the open-raiser in MP, who has a much shorter stack.

-David

PS - I don't know enough about MTT strategy (just lurking) to comment on which move is better, but it just appeared to me that a vital piece of information was being ignored in this debate.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mean to get in the middle of a tournament-vs-cash game debate, but if we're only concerned about MP (being the raiser), then Hero has him well-covered, and wouldn't go bust if his all-in lost.

If we think at all that SB is slowplaying something that beats AQs, then there is validity to the "you only lose a tournament once" argument. But the argument seems to be centered on the open-raiser in MP, who has a much shorter stack.

-David

PS - I don't know enough about MTT strategy (just lurking) to comment on which move is better, but it just appeared to me that a vital piece of information was being ignored in this debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never stated that but did factor in my pushpushpushpush thing. being left with 3kish here if you happen to lose to MP isn't a death knell.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:45 AM

That's precisely my point.

If I'm going to shove here, I do it with a couple live cards.. a small suited connector or something.

I think the key here is deep stacks.. If I have nearly 40 BB.. I'm not ready to gamble yet. You have plenty of time to play great poker.

The only conclusion I can get from the "gambloooors" on here who want to charge in like a bull into every +ChipEV situation is that they are not confident in their skills and abilities to accumulate chips.

It's not terrible hard in online MTT's to finesse your way into the money.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:54 AM

ok, which is more live against KK? AQs, or 98s?
QQ? JJ? TT? it does better against AA, and slighty better against AK. that is it.

edit - I spell goot