Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 05:41 AM

Default to the experienced TAG( a little long)

Preledeum: This hand has had a disturbing impact on me.
I am button QQ black.full ring game 2/4 party
No good reads yet.
PS! If u havent got anything decent to contribute, save the effort and slag somewhere else

ep2 limps, lp limps, I raise blinds fold, ep2 reraises, lp calls, I cap, called by both

Flopp: Ac,Th,3d
both players check, I bet, ep raises, lp, calls, I reraise, both call.
Turn: Kd, ep bets, lp call, I raise, ep reraises, lp call I fold
river: 8c, ep bets, lp calls- ep JJ and lp 99 LOOOL

The hand in itself is not so interesting-but the psychological impact is.
I have worked hard towards becomming a tag, I play my big pockets and draws strongly, I can vary my play, and I do some moves( scared I got FPS, sometimes)

When I played 0,5/1 and 1/2 altogether about 25K hands, I had a VP$IP of 29, PFR 9,Aggro 1,5, went to showdown about 34 and a won at showdown 52, BB/100 of 5. I know I played to many hands, but I was better at folding hands with little prospect and pushing strongly those who did-I guess I was loose/passive agressive or close.

Now I am at 2/4 only 4K hands( I know it is nothing)

VP$IP 19, PFR 9 aggro 2,5 went to showdown 39, won at showdown 45 bb/100 -0,17

Trying to be a tag has made me diciplined enough to wait around for good hands or good situation, but I find it really hard to fold, and hands like above has made me paranoid.My losses are made up of only a few hands, but with large contribution to the pot
Being a tag puts a lot more pressure on preflopp play then I thought, and for some reason it seems everyone wants to get tricky with a tag. Or maybe I am just overrating the opposition, and should assume they dont pay to much attention to read if the are over 25/10?

Postludeum: Those of u far more experienced then me, lend me some advice please? What where your tag experiences in utero?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Re: to the experienced TAG( a little long)

You played that hand very badly but I guess that's why you posted it. You threw in as much money as you could with second then third pair, then folded when you picked up the straight draw.

Keep in mind you don't always have to keep raising if you raised preflop. Sometimes you can call if you think you're drawing or if you want to see a cheap showdown, and sometimes you can fold. You should fold a lot more. It's hard to tell you how to figure out if your hand is good, but judging from this hand it's something you need to figure out. I don't think your W$SD is 45 because you're running bad. Try to think about what other players' bets mean, compare your hand to their possible range and take the appropriate action. Don't be aggressive when it's totally inappropriate and don't dwell on hands where you might have made a bad fold. I hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PS! If u havent got anything decent to contribute, save the effort and slag somewhere else

[/ QUOTE ]

This is more of a sympathy post than advice...

I had the same thing happen to me at 3/6 with my Jacks, Axx on flop, turn Q, 2 other players raising like crazy. 10 10 wins at showdown beating 88.

The frustration is pretty immense, but I have only seen that once or twice in 20k hands at 3/6. I just took note of their super aggressive play, and used it later in the session to my benefit.

I'm not sure what else there is to do, you gotta fold to multiple overcards and turn 3 bets.

best of luck,
Matt
Old 07-21-2005, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No good reads yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try to get them. Datamine if you have to.
[ QUOTE ]
Flopp: Ac,Th,3d
both players check, I bet, ep raises, lp, calls, I reraise

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are you doing this? What purpose does this serve? I would see the same action and under most circumstances observe that here you are probably drawing to two outs.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: Kd, ep bets, lp call, I raise,

[/ QUOTE ]
Why the hell are you raising here?

[ QUOTE ]
Turn: Kd, ep bets, lp call, I raise, ep reraises, lp call I fold

[/ QUOTE ]
So you make this huge ass pot just so you can fold when you finally have created a pot big enough to call with your gutshot draw to a nut straight?
[ QUOTE ]
Those of u far more experienced then me, lend me some advice please?

[/ QUOTE ] Read a book, SSHE by Ed Miller, play hands, post more regarding strategy. I've ignored your stats because frankly, i don't give a [censored] about them because they are a roadmap to buttfucking egypt for all i care. They tell me you raise 9% of the hands preflop but they don't tell me you raise the right hands or more importantly in the right situations. Welcome, stick around and learn.

[ QUOTE ]
The hand in itself is not so interesting-but the psychological impact is.

[/ QUOTE ]
Get used to it.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:48 AM

call the flop raise drawing to ur two outs and check/fold the turn unimproved!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:29 AM

You'll learn early on that just because you have a pocket pair doesn't mean you need to invest a lot of money on it. These things will happen, very rarely. But more times than not you will cost yourself piles going too far with pocket pairs that end up being 2nd and 3rd best.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:39 AM

From an article in this month's 2+2 magazine...

"As a rule, if you never fold the winning hand, you're not playing optimal poker. As many players love to point out, one can never be 100 percent sure your hand is beat. But what these players don't truly understand is that you don't have to be anywhere near 100 percent in order to make folding correct. Let pot odds dictate how often you call down, not the need to make sure nobody steals from you."

Call the raise on the flop. Consider folding the turn UI to a bet and call.
If you played it this way you may well have won the hand actually, but I don't mean to be too results oriented here.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:08 AM

There is some very good advice above. That said, I think you should strongly consider staying away from 2/4 until you get these issues sorted out - you made two very large, very fundamental errors by raising the flop and again raising the turn. I doubt you are a winning player at this level. In this hand our opponents are apparantly maniacs, but you didn't know this going into the hand (your mistake), nor would it change very much. Count your outs, call the flop, and fold the turn UI.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:49 AM

This was a straightforward easy to play hand. There were no difficult decisions in this hand.

The flop 3 bet was chip spewing, The turn play was awfull.

I suggest you move down in limits until you plug some leaks, you will lose less money this way.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:43 PM

when I got reraised on the flop I would have simply called (regretfully) not raised again. some people would even fold here.

when the turn brought a second overcard it's time to check/fold sorry.

too many fish play A/rag K/rag and you're now drawing to a couple outs.

You can't get married to your big hands, especially in the face of certain trouble.

we're talking limit poker here and you've got a minimal amount committed when the board comes with overcards.