Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Theory post: When is it correct to three bet flop OOP?

[ QUOTE ]
(Hmmm. Then whatever the opposite of Shania is, that must be what you get when you never reraise the flop.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Liv, you are extremely wise (and beautiful). Why would you want the opposite of Shania - which I agree is seemingly what Strassa gets by not 3-betting the flop or check/raising the river? Isn't Shania what we all strive for?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:28 AM

I'm lost on the last few posts about Shania... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I guess another thing about 3-betting the flop that seems wrong is that unless you're 100 percent sure you're ahead, you can easily get stacked. After you 3 bet, say for value with a mediocre holding like AA or AK, if you aren't ahead after he calls your 3-bet, you may have to make a 2/3 pot bet which after your 3-bet is a hefty amount, and your oppenant can come over the top with his often better holding. If he does call your 3-bet, this may freeze you up, and you may check/fold the pot away.

It seems like OOP, it is your responsibility to exercise as much pot control and info-gaining bets on streets as you can to find out where you are, while not risking your stack. It seems like stopping and going and check-raising the turn, gains your the most equity/info in the cheapest way possible. By making bets when more cards are out, it seems like you can gain more info than just 3-betting the flop, leaving you safer from getting stacked. This to me seems like the major advantage of not 3-betting for value on the flop, unless you have a big hand, in which I still think turn-check raising against unknowns is a sounder play, given no scary turn cards come.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:47 AM

For this reason, 3-betting the flop with hands OTHER than monsters can be a very strong move.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm lost on the last few posts about Shania... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try this.