Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Advice needed - Limit selection

Ok guys, perhaps you misunderstood me or I wasn't clear enough.

I am 39 yo I have a family and a VERY good job which gives me enough for living and even pay for that car. I play poker for fun and for winning extra money in order to buy my self extra goodies (computers, cameras, travels, vacations, a fishing boat etc.). I consider my self very mature regarding gambling and betting. Before starting to play online poker i was very active in betting (value betting in high odds) and i had a very good profit.

So let's refine my question....

What do you believe is more profitable long term --

1) Crushing the micro limits at 9BB/100 4-tabling (which i understand some of you believe it is not achievable and I agree that only a big sample of hands will provide safe conclusions)

or

2) Moving to higher limits (perhaps $5/$10), improve my game and play max 2 tables?

Note: Starting Bankroll is not a problem for me
Old 07-21-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Moving to higher limits (perhaps $5/$10), improve my game and play max 2 tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have this reversed, improve your game first and then move to higher limits.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:56 AM

This just sounds like a BAAAAADDDD idea. Buying a car with the expectation that you can pay it off by playing poker is some SERIOUS overhead.

It's great to have a nice car and all, and I'm working my way towards one myself, but note the key difference between you and I. I'm waiting until I've played enough poker where I can take out $X of my winnings and pay for it. I have no stress to make any deadlines other than what goal(s) I set for myself. If I don't make $Y per hour/day/week/month, it doesn't upset me too much and I'm not in any financial danger.

You need to seriously reconsider owning that car. The key word that has already been mentioned is variance. It sucks, and it'll suck even more when you miss that $960 payment because the variance stick slapped you big time in the face.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:57 AM

davelin... I can improve my game multitabling at micro limits only to a degree. I understand that moving higher and reducing the multitabling level and having better oponents will help me improve my skills (esp. reading skills)
Old 07-21-2005, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
davelin... I can improve my game multitabling at micro limits only to a degree. I understand that moving higher and reducing the multitabling level and having better oponents will help me improve my skills (esp. reading skills)

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not move in steps? Why jump to the higher level immediately? Play a decent number of hands at each level before 5/10. I'm 99% sure this will be more profitable than going straight there.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Having better opponents helps me practice and build confidence. Having worse opponents helps me pay for my car. Your choice, really, but why are you so anxious to move up?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:06 AM

Thanks crownjules, that's exactly the point of my question.... Variance..... what kind of variance can a good player expect in the micro limit tables that are full of bad players? Definitely less variance that in higher limits. In the tables i am playing usually 6-8 players see the flop all call all the way down to the river with any pair or any draw.

Also doesnt 4-tabling at the micro limits reduce somehow the short-term variance?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of variance can a good player expect in the micro limit tables that are full of bad players? Definitely less variance that in higher limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think you have this backwards?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:12 AM

Oh I am not anxious at all to move up - I was just wondering which is more profitable - crushing the micro limits or beat the higher limits at a reasonable level (I have already 60K hands of experience in limits up to 5/10 with 2.2BB/100 but I am tempted by the 9.5BB/100 in my last 10K hands in microlimits with 4-tabling which i admit was more relaxing than playing 5/10 - a bad beat in microlimts is not a big deal - no big $ lost)
Old 07-21-2005, 10:17 AM

I don't know, that's why I am asking. From my experience I feel that variance (in about 25K hand samples) in the micro limits should be less especially if you select loose passive tables and be careful with maniacs)