Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 11:19 AM

Default first O8 hand

Hi everybody. I have just started playing this game. I know I have a lot to learn. My main questions for this hand are:
1. is the EP flop bet with nut flush draw and open ended str8 draw standard or is it better to try to check and then raise a LP bet to put pressure on the A2 hands?
2.When the board pairs on the river, is it better to check/call than to bet out?

any comments are very welcome

Party Poker (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
five limpers, SB folds, Hero Checks

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero bets, 3 people call.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero bets, guy on my left raises, the two remaining players fold, hero 3-bets, guy on my left calls.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
hero bets, guy on my left raises, hero calls

guy on my left has K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
and takes the pot with his river boat

Also, is there a nice converter for O8 hands out there somewhere? It turned out bisonbisons converter for HE hands did not do the job on this one so I had to complete it myself..
Old 07-19-2005, 11:46 AM

Default Re: first O8 hand *DELETED*

Oops, totally overlooked the straight you made on the turn. I think I'd play it the same except check-call the river and not like it.

Then mark the guy as an idiot and playing KK97 UTG.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: first O8 hand

betting a high flop if it hits you at all is not a crazy strategy, and here you have nut flush draw with second low back door draw. However, check/calling flop is probably best move here.

On turn, nuts is the straight, so a check/call works here.

Fold on river.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:23 PM

Tough call on the river. I would play the rest the same way.

I think I just check call the river.

Dave
Old 07-20-2005, 09:15 PM

I would have played it the same as you, only I would have check/called the flop. Good playing, tough break.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On turn, nuts is the straight, so a check/call works here.

Fold on river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want me to check/call the turn when I have the nuts? I want to get money into the pot to make it expensive for nut low draws to take half the pot away from me. I also want to protect my str8 against sets drawing to boats.

You also advice me to fold the river. Do you mean that I should simply check fold when the board pairs or shoud I fold to the raise? In either case, despite my lack of experience I feel pretty sure that my str8 will take it down often enough to warrant calling one bet/raise on the river. PLEASE HIT ME IF THIS IS NONESENSE. I have played a lot of small stakes holdem, so in my world, folding the river for one bet if you have any kind of hand is a rare occurance.

thanks everybody for taking your time
Old 07-21-2005, 06:43 AM

hey duders

thank you all for looking at my hand.

A lot of you want me to chack/call the flop. I have been thinking alot about this and come to the conclusion that I dont understand why. So, please, enlighten me. I am not saying that check/calling the flop is wrong, I just need to know why it is a favourable play.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:24 AM

Like Alchemist, I also completely missed that you had the straight - muyst have been too excited by the flush draw [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

With this in mind, I think your turn play was perfect, but with his re-raise I might put him on a set and so not bet out on the river, but call his bet.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:36 AM

I agree with you. Bet the flop. Try to get rid of the A-2s, A-3s. Find out who might have something, like a set. Make it expensive for another OESD to hang with you. You have the obvious numerous outs probably putting you ahead of any other OESD.

Bet the turn and keep raising it.

Check-call the river. Bad break.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:38 AM

Flex,

I am not one of those people who believe you should check call the flop. I would bet out, but when my opponent shows aggression I would back off until the club comes or the 2 for the nut low draw.

In this game you will find that people generally bet what they have. The reason we make money at this game is that they bet what they have (or hope to have) even when it's not the best hand out there.

Again, I would call the river for one bet because of the full boat on the board. I would not lead the river bet.

Dave