Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Party Vs. Stars

i am logged on empire now but cant log on party. yes i lost all my buyins. i didnt get a refund. i emailed but sites. man i better get my money back!!
Old 07-20-2005, 09:05 PM

please excuse my ignorance.

what is a DDoS attack?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in agreement with several posters who have suggested a serious DDoS attack on the party network - this sounds likely, given the recent IPO (perfect timing for blackmail), and would appear to be symptomatic of the some-but-not-all tables disconnecting that everyone has experienced.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and what's the story behind this?

Adam
Old 07-20-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please excuse my ignorance.
what is a DDoS attack?
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in agreement with several posters who have suggested a serious DDoS attack on the party network - this sounds likely, given the recent IPO (perfect timing for blackmail), and would appear to be symptomatic of the some-but-not-all tables disconnecting that everyone has experienced.

[/ QUOTE ]
...and what's the story behind this?
Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

DDoS = Distributed Denial of Service

Basically when you coordinate a bunch of computers to overload another computer or set of computers by flooding them with more data and/or data requests than they can handle.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently "logged in" to Empire, but it is badly screwed - most tables just give the "currently not available" pop-up, but some are in fact still working (most players are sitting out though, funnily enough).

I just took this screenshot since this is i believe the first time the numbers have been this way round - Stars leading the IGM sited by over 10K players, you've got to believe IGM are taking this seriously now things have gotten so much worse. I usually see 60K+ at this time of night on Empire.

The timing of these problems coincides so suspiciously with the latest software update, a programmer cock-up would be a close second in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's getting better, stars has almost twice as many tables running:

Old 07-20-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Can ANYONE connect to Party right now?

I'm able to log in to Party and Empire right now, but can't get a seat b/c there are way too many people sitting out.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:31 PM

Not exactly how a public company keeps the analysts happy - losing tons of rake (earnings) due to this if it continues - not to mention people switching sites
Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 PM

DDoS stands for a "Distributed Denial of Service" attack - over time, thousands of unprotected family PCs permanently connected to broadband get trojan sofware installed via dodgy email / dodgy website, and these trojans report back to their "masters", e.g. some group of evil "hackers", who say to Party - "Pay us $x,000,000 or we will attack your servers" - Party says "Piss Off", and many many trojaned PCs across the globe (distributed) come to life and flood Party's network with network traffic, causing slowness / disconnects, and eventually overloading, overheating and crashing of important servers & routers that do not expect to be running at 100% capacity all the time (Denial of Service).

The thing that makes this such a nasty and hard to combat attack from Party's standpoint is that the flood of traffic is coming from random computers all over the Internet, so called "zombie" PCs which routers can block once identified, but they just keep coming.

I can't remember which sites, but I'm sure several UK gambling sited have suffered DDoS attacks / extortion attemps, since they are a prime target: downtime = loss of income, if loss of income due to downtime > extortion demand, payment of demand looks like it may be +EV for the gambling site operator.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 PM

i was on for about 10 minutes but lost my connection again
Old 07-20-2005, 09:39 PM

This sucks, but at least this is a rarity for Party. This stuff seems to happen twice a week on Ultimate Bet.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DDoS stands for a "Distributed Denial of Service" attack - over time, thousands of unprotected family PCs permanently connected to broadband get trojan sofware installed via dodgy email / dodgy website, and these trojans report back to their "masters", e.g. some group of evil "hackers", who say to Party - "Pay us $x,000,000 or we will attack your servers" - Party says "Piss Off", and many many trojaned PCs across the globe (distributed) come to life and flood Party's network with network traffic, causing slowness / disconnects, and eventually overloading, overheating and crashing of important servers & routers that do not expect to be running at 100% capacity all the time (Denial of Service).

The thing that makes this such a nasty and hard to combat attack from Party's standpoint is that the flood of traffic is coming from random computers all over the Internet, so called "zombie" PCs which routers can block once identified, but they just keep coming.

I can't remember which sites, but I'm sure several UK gambling sited have suffered DDoS attacks / extortion attemps, since they are a prime target: downtime = loss of income, if loss of income due to downtime > extortion demand, payment of demand looks like it may be +EV for the gambling site operator.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, thanks for the great response. very interesting.

You know, I've found the connections to be very [censored].ty over the last week (at least for Eurobet).

Adam