Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Leaks or Variance? How can new players tell?

Hi Guys,

Been playing poker online seriously since March and contributed to my poker education with 3 2+2 books which have helped a lot. My question is though, i'm trying to find my leaks as i know i'm doing cash somewhere, but i can't find out if my losses are just variance or leaks.

I haven't got PT either just yet as i'm playing at pokerroom.com and the crypto sites where i don't think PT allows you to import stats.

What i'm wanting to know is - how can i improve my game (or even review it) to see what i have done wrong?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Leaks or Variance? How can new players tell?

Get PT. You can't be playing online 'seriously' until you have it.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:04 AM

I agree with Triple. PT is the best thing you can do for your game. Even if you halfto swich sites or import the hand historys manualy, a few K of them should atleast give you some idea. (ie your vip, pfr, etc) You can use the free trial for a bit anyway, but once you use it Im sure you'll buy it.

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] PT
Old 07-21-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Guys,

Been playing poker online seriously since March and contributed to my poker education with 3 2+2 books which have helped a lot. My question is though, i'm trying to find my leaks as i know i'm doing cash somewhere, but i can't find out if my losses are just variance or leaks.

I haven't got PT either just yet as i'm playing at pokerroom.com and the crypto sites where i don't think PT allows you to import stats.

What i'm wanting to know is - how can i improve my game (or even review it) to see what i have done wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Give advice to hands posted here. That's the best way of getting feedback on your game. By responding to posts, you can have your thought process corrected, which is far better than having your play corrected.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Guys,

[/ QUOTE ]

Give advice to hands posted here. That's the best way of getting feedback on your game. By responding to posts, you can have your thought process corrected, which is far better than having your play corrected.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agreed
Old 07-21-2005, 12:27 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding the title of your post,

[ QUOTE ]
Leaks or Variance? How can new players tell?

[/ QUOTE ]

...assume they are leaks. Sorry if I come off wrong here, but you probably have a million leaks anyway. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm trying to help.

Post your advice to other threads. If you have a specific situation you need to address that doesn't fit with the posts, post a hand. Accept our criticism as constructive.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:57 AM

Will do guys, and thanks.

Just another note; I didn't know you could import from other sites into PT. If that is the case i'll definately buy it.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:00 AM

PT allows automatic import of HH's from both pokerroom and the cryptos. It couldn't be easier. And I second all of the above advice.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Guys,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agreed

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-21-2005, 02:06 AM

I've never really understood the hardline leaks vs variance distinction. I'm roughly 100% sure that we all have leaks, and are you really going to stop actively learning just because you think you're on the bad end of variance? You should be working as hard on your game whether or not you think you're "good" right now.

Study. Join the conversation. Put in the effort to improve. And do your best to ride out the rough patches. As long as you're still properly rolled you have nothing to worry about, hard as it is to believe sometimes. If you're not properly rolled and can't/won't rebuy, then give some serious thought to moving down -- I'd come down four square on the side of moving down, but people play poker for different reasons and in different financial circumstances. Until you're faced with that choice, don't worry about it. Just put your head down and get to work.

I agree with the other stuff in this thread. PT is damn near indispensable. To archive and replay your hands if nothing else -- it's worth the price for this alone. If you can't afford to buy it right now, make sure to save your hand histories so you can import them later

Aggressive and honest self evaluation is the way to go. You should be able to tell whether you're a winning player at your limit long before most of your numbers become close to accurate. We all doubt ourselves sometimes, but the point is that our approach won't really differ whether or not we're "running bad". Take a break when you feel like you need one, then do your best to ignore your results and just play (again, assuming you're properly rolled).

Best of luck and happy pokering.