Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Playing against a maniac

BB is a huge maniac.(73/22/1.7. I usually raise UTG here, and thought about limp-three betting. Comments? (especially on the turn check)

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO folds, SB calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (7.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (7.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 07-20-2005, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Playing against a maniac

I don't think the LRR is going to isolate you on this level, against this big a field, and with at least some of your opponents recognizing the same patterns you've seen in the BB. So I think it's fine to go for the delayed raise on a somewhat safe flop, as you did. As far as raising to begin with, that depends on the table. With a poster already in the pot, I doubt you're going to narrow the field enough with an UTG raise to make it worthwhile holding 77, although the increased folding equity might be worth it if your opponents were prone to folding a lot of flops.

Overall, I like the way you played every street. Ni han.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:42 PM

Can I just ask why you thought about limp-3 betting? I'm glad you decided not to, but just curious as to what the positives would be for that play, UTG, w/77?
Old 07-20-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I just ask why you thought about limp-3 betting? I'm glad you decided not to, but just curious as to what the positives would be for that play, UTG, w/77?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it would help me isolate the maniac a bit. I knew he was raising with complete garbage, and I wanted the field to face 2 cold bets. It wouldn't completely knock them out most likely, but it would do a decent job.

I decided that since he bets this flop 100% of the time, I should raise any flop against him since I have good position and that way unless someone spiked top pair it is easy for me to make them fold.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:52 PM

I like just calling BB's preflop raise. A limp 3-bet might clear out a couple of limpers (and will probably drive out the poster), but I think I'd rather play 77 6-way than 4-way, and I'm not too optimistic about getting a 2-3-way pot with so many people already in.

Plus, just calling sets up a raise of the maniac's flop bet, on a board (like the actual one) that isn't too scary. It'll be hard to get rid of someone, at this point, who has flopped top pair, but on the whole I like just calling the preflop raise.

I like the flop raise.

If BB won't fold to a turn bet and is going to bet any hand on the river after you check behind on the turn, then I like the turn check. It eliminates the possibilities of getting checkraise-bluffed out of the hand or facing a value checkraise you have to call if BB bluff checkraises a lot. Also, if he's always calling the turn with a worse hand but won't put a bet in on the river unless you show weakness on the turn or he improves, you'll just lose an extra bet on the river those times he draws out on you (unless he whiffs on a checkraise then).

The turn check is pretty read-dependent, though, and ordinarily I'd prefer to bet there, with the plan of checking behind on the river (or calling a river stop-n-go, if necessary).