Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Ace Rag

What adjustments do you make to your normal game (if any) when half or more of the table plays any ace? Thanks
Old 07-20-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Ace Rag

This is in HE4AP. Be somewhat more likely to play better aces and medium pairs. This is particularly true when one of the Ax players raises and you have a chance to 3-bet and isolate. The reason for playing a hand like A9s in that spot is obvious. In HE4AP, DS says the reason for playing a hand like 77 is that, if you hit your set, your opponent will call bets "trying to catch that elusive ace." That just doesn't make any sense. The same rationale would apply to 33. The real reason is that a hand like A5 must pair aces to beat 77, whereas AT can pair either card.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:46 PM

I have played with people like this at my home games and I find that the best thing to do is not change your starting hand requirements. You wil get paid off enough when you flop aces with a strong kicker and they raise the pot with A3.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:51 PM

Thanks bobman. I'm thinking also that I would be a little more likely than usual to check and fold a ace high flop in an unraised multiway pot if I didn't have an ace or big draw. I'm thinking it would also be better not take as many stabs at ace high flops if I was first to act.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:54 PM

Thanks KJL. I'm just thinking there are some adjustments that can make these tables more profitable.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:06 PM

best game around!
only play AJ and up here, and raise, ull dominate them and take tons of dough, if they reraise u, fold to their 2 pair, happens on and off and its an easy read!
cdl larmorec@msu.edu
Old 07-20-2005, 02:11 PM

Aj and up in any position would be a little too tight for me. I would be playing A8 offsuit or better ace in the button and cutoff in these situations (unraised pot).
Old 07-20-2005, 02:17 PM

By just playing better starting hands than they do you are making the game very profitable. The main adjustment that I make is rarely ever bluff. If the players are aggresive you should slowplay your hands a lot more and if they are passive you should always bet your good or even decent hands.