Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Anyone play this differently?

Villain is relatively new to the table so no real reads. I would have been happy with taking it down preflop, but that didn't happen. Just made a standard continuation bet on the flop hoping to take it down, that didn't work, but my card fell on the turn. My thinking on the river was that anyone without a queen won't call, anyone with one will call, but i'll have the higher straight.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

CO ($122.70)
Button ($134.80)
Hero ($164.06)
BB ($143.30)
UTG ($96.20)
MP ($12.35)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $1, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $4.5</font>, BB calls $4, CO folds, Button folds.

Flop: ($12) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, BB calls $10.

Turn: ($32) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, BB calls $20.

River: ($72) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero calls $129.06 (All-In), BB calls $108.30 (All-In).

Final Pot: $309.36
Old 07-20-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Anyone play this differently?

If I'm villain here, I'm probably folding a Queen on the river, expecting to split some of the time, and lose most of the time to a full house or KQ.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:17 AM

Yeah, I'll bet good money that you're crushed here. Villain has a boat. I like straights, but you can't be so agressive with them when there is a pair on the board, because you are a long way from having the nuts.

Villain could have TT, T9, JT, or T8. Personally, those are the kinds of hands I would tend to play because of straights/flush possibilities. There is also the 88, 99, and JJ to worry about. The latter three are definitely posibilities, because he called your raise preflop, and was prob. looking for a set.

Final Answer: you probably just donated a lot of money by playing a far-from-the-nuts hand too aggressively.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:18 PM

Given that you have gotten called twice already on a paired board (one with lots of possible full houses), I think a smaller river bet is in order. I'm honestly not sure that a naked Q calls your river overbet, but they certainly would call a smaller bet.
Also, a lone Q probably wouldn't raise your river bet, given the strength shown, so you may be able to get away if you bet smaller and are put all in (though this would be read dependent).
Old 07-20-2005, 02:04 PM

With no read on the villian, I have give some thought to why he called, but did not raise your PF raise. 89,9T,JT,AT are possible holdings, but would he call a large PF bet with those? If he did, what would he continue with? TT/JJ is another possible hand. He would call with those. He would also call the flop and turn and bet out the river. KQ is also a reasonable holding, but I would have expected a re-raise on the turn. I don't know anything about the player, so anything is possible. He might have pocket 8s or Jacks for all we know.

You are ahead of most of his possible holdings, split the KQ and are dead to 88,JJ,TT,9T,8T,JT. TT &amp; JJ are the hands I am most worried about.

I call him, expecting to lose or split 50% of the time, but I don't like it at all.

BTW- I would have bet $12+ on the flop and $35 on the turn. The $20 bet seems like an invitation to re-raise or an excuse to continue to draw (for a fish).
Old 07-20-2005, 02:35 PM

yeah, villain showed 99 for the flopped full house and I was kicking myself for overplaying the hand. that being said, I think i'm calling just about any river bet if I bet less and he raises me because i'll basically have to given the size of the pot. I'm not sure there was a whole lot I could do to get away from losing a bundle here.