Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 12:00 AM

Default Re: John C. Roberts (n/t)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My guess is he replaces Rehnquiest with a hard right woman

[/ QUOTE ]I'll put money down that Gonzalez replaces Rhenquist now.

[/ QUOTE ]

After speaking with my father, I have found out that he agrees with you and I cannot bet against my father.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That was the question I had, what was the vote in the Senate when he was up for the Appellate position? If it was 97-3 (I have no reason to doubt what you say) then it will show how partisan the process has become when the Democrats fillibuster this nomination which I'm sure they will. If he gets an up or down vote it won't be anywhere close to 97-3 this time around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't put much value in the actual vote numbers considering that once a decision is made, most people get behind the winner for record purposes, especially in these types of votes...

I'm positive supporters numbered much fewer then 93.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a crock your post is.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:03 AM

The single most qualified person to be Chief Justice (who is not too old or already on the court) is Michael Luttig. If Bush is really dedicated to building a good court, he will appoint Luttig.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Core political beliefs should trump any other consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought "most qualified" should trump any other considerations. Oh, yeah, this is Felix; sorry.

-ptmusic
Old 07-20-2005, 02:43 AM

It's a sign of how bad a state the judicial branch is in when people start to have felix's opinion.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is Bush's idea of diversity?
Colin Powell, Condi Rice, Roberto Gonzales, and more. Clinton's cabinet had nothing on Bush. Bush has nothing to prove regarding diversity (which is VERY over-rated). Core political beliefs should trump any other consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe its funny that this is his idea of diversity because he said he was going to appoint someone to create more diversity (minority or woman) in the court not because he has diversity in his cabinet.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:10 AM

I predict Roberts will sail through -- no filibuster, no nuclear option. He has friends on both sides of the aisle, he is personally charming, and he has an impeccable C.V. Gang of Fourteen member Joe Lieberman described Roberts as "inside the ballpark," yesterday, which does not bode well for the Dems hoping to muster support for a filibuster.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Overwhelmingly approved before (97-3 or so), so this shouldnt be a problem

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the senate did not even take a formal role-call vote on his confirmation. Three of the Dems on the judiciary committee voted against him (in committee), but he was never actually put to a formal vote on the floor because his confirmation was considered inevitable.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know where I can find things he's written.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are some links to some of his opinions:
Rancho Viejo dissent from denial of rehearing

Hedgepeth

Totten

Taucher

Acree concurrence
Old 07-20-2005, 09:39 AM

Default Give Me Originalists or Give Me Death

I thought "most qualified" should trump any other considerations. Oh, yeah, this is Felix; sorry.
Well 'qualified' jurist have:
*Restricted political speech 60 days before an election (McCain-Feingold)
*Granted Orwellian eminent domain powers to local govt where they can seize private propery for PRIVATE USE.
*Usurped state rights by claiming that medical marijuana; grown in California, perscribed in California, and used in California falls under the interstate commerce clause of the US constitution.

If the fools that supported these illegal rulings are 'qualified' then lets try UNQUALIFIED candidates. They will probably do a better job. Having an ORIGINALIST interpretation of the constition should TRUMP everything else. I would rather have a truck driver with an originalist judicial philosophy than a qualified ACLU lawyer (I use to be a big ACLU supporter before they became a bunch of crazies [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]). At least with an originalist 'truck driver' jurist they could learn how to write judicial opinions OJT (on-the-job training). A judicial activist can not unlearn their unethical beliefs.

The judicial activists have played 'god' for the last 75 years in the USA by voiding legal laws and enacting laws from the bench even though they do not have the authority. It is time to end their tyranny. This new judge will PROBABLY be an improvement over O'Conner. O'Conner was Reagan's worst mistake. Stephens and Ginsberg have had health problems. If we can replace these fools with originalists, the supreme court may actually begin to make lawful decisons again.