Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 03:09 AM

Default Live 5/10 KQs, right idea or chip spewing?

Live 10-handed 5/10 at Potawatomi. Game is super-loose and pretty passive, with hints of aggressiveness postflop. I'm fairly new, but I haven't really won a pot so I'm a litte stuck. UTG in this hand is the definition of a donkey, he makes weird bets in weird spots and hopeless raise, and horrible call-downs and all kinds of fun stuff. UTG+1 is a little bit loose-passive but gets aggro at times, basically he's not afraid to do what it takes to win a pot, but he backs off when facing resistance. MP is a slightly loose TAG and bb is a slightly weak-tight quasi-TAG, but neither are much of a factor here.
The three limp to me in the CO with the K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] I raise. button and sb fold, bb calls.

Flop (5 players/10SBs) J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB checks, UTG bets, UTG+1 calls, MP folds, I call, BB calls

I'm not exactly sure about my call here, but this is probably a true donk bet (a J at best), and I'm getting 12:1, so I decide to take one off.

Turn (4 players/7BBs) Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 bets, I raise...

My thinking is that UTG+1 won't 3-bet with a 9 (maybe with A9) because he shuts down like that, and that I wouldn't mind clearing up some outs like not chopping a straight, or maybe convincing bb to fold a flush draw on the paired board (he's definitely capable). Since I don't really want to fold raising is my best option here, right?
Old 07-20-2005, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Live 5/10 KQs, right idea or chip spewing?

Hi,

You want to showdown/redraw cheaply unless they really really will only 3 bet with a FH or a str8. The problem with the turn raise is if its capped back to you a 3rd 9 isn't an out, so that just leaves two Q's and you don't have odds to try and pull that so you have to fold what would have been a profitable draw for 1 bet.

If you just call you can see if your drawing to two queens or if another a 9/Q/T is a good card for you.

Later,
MarkV.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:43 AM

I think it really is the case that I only get 3-bet when someone has at least a straight, except by the donk... BB is weak tight, and UTG+1 frequently stops with a naked 9 right here (I've played with him a ton, so my read on him is the most solid). Anyway, should I be folding this river UI, if I take your line? Because I prefer raising and checking behind if I want to show this one down.
Edit: I didn't see the showdown part in your post, so I'm assuming you call the river, but I'll leave the post up, just in case.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:51 AM

This hand is good so far. If he 3bets, you call and fold the river unimproved.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:04 AM

Default Results

I'm suddenly tired, and I don't really feel like bumping this thread in the morning, because the hand isn't super-interesting. Anyway, both BB and UTG folded, UTG+1 calls, I check behind on the river, and he tables K9o, for the winner. I guess the thing about this hand for me was that the pot wasn't enormous because if the pot were 15 BBs, this is an automatic raise for me, and if the pot were only 4 BBs, I'd be more inclined to call (assuming I somehow made it to this turn). But since I figured I couldn't fold getting at least 10:1 on the river, I might as well try to clean up some outs.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:43 AM

Hi,

I see a showdown here, only raising if I spike a Q/T/9 and folding if I'm 3 bet when I have nines full.

Later,
MarkV.