Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Have we ever seen a great call of a bluff on TV?

I remember someone said they saw John Murphy call Mahatma with Q High on UB and rake in a 4k+ pot in 25/50 i think. I thought that was sweet but I dont know what the board was etc.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:58 PM

What's Murphy's handle on UB?
Old 07-19-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Ted Forrest calling down Chad Brown with wired deuces

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In the 2004 WSOP stud event that Ted Forrest won there was a memorable hand where Forrest called Chad Brown down the whole way with an unimproved pair of deuces. After calling on the river he immediately flipped his hand over, knowing his pair was good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, yes. This was insanely hot. He slapped them down on the table, knowing they were best, and it was great. You could tell Chad was humbled there. I should upload the clip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please do and PM me the link
Old 07-19-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: stud river calls arent as good....almost mandatory(nt)

And it's not only that he called with deuces, he triumphantly flipped his hand over first like he knew they were good.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: stud river calls arent as good....almost mandatory

Gardner's & Forrest calls have already been mentioned, I think those are hands down the 2 best I've seen.

Some others not mentioned yet:

-WSOP ME Final Table 2003 5 players left: Harringnton raises to 90k, Moneymaker calls A2 soooted, Benvanisti goes over the top all-in JTo for 510k, Harrington folds. Moneymaker calls 490k more.

Didn't notice this hand till I saw final table commentary with Moneymaker the other night. When the hands are flipped over, the look that Harrington and Lester give each other is priceless seeing these guys are playing a million dollar pot with A2 vs. JT.

-WSOP ME 2004 Annie Duke moving in for her last 25k with KQ the board showing 4 6 5 5 and being called by some amatuer with AQ "A pro would never make that call" according to Annie.

-2004 WSOP ME A player moves in on the river on Chris Ferguson with the board showing 6c Ac 4c Qc 8s Chris has the 10c 9d, and calls after much thought. His opponenet flopped a set of 6's. Too bad ESPN only shows the river action, I would've liked to see how the hand played out. I believe ESPN's announcer's made this seem like a greater call than it was, but still tough calling off your chips at that stage in the tournament when 2 single cards can each eliminate you.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really a huge hand, but Mike Caro made a nice call with K-high vs. Todd Brunson on PSI 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was waiting my turn to post this one, but you beat me to it. However, I wasn't sure it qualified since PSI is pretty much a donkey fest they way it's set up.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not on TV, and I guess it won't be (damn!), but I thought Gerasimovs call with 10 high was very strong. I know he had reasons given how his opponent acted, but still...

2nd: Chris Moneymaker vs Boyd. Awesome play. I am one of the seemingly few that think CM is underrated.

3rd: Matusows call against Raymer - the other big stack at the table - with only 2nd pair. edit: WSOP 2004 of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a Moneymaker advocate too. Then I watched him play in the PSI. He's been outclassed in every session.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
brandon schaefer getting called in the EPT by - I don't remember his name - with king high heads up when brandon was bluffing all the way down with 9 high

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked this one. He called off the majority of his chips with K high on the river. I think his name was Carl Olson.

colson10

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL nice - i didn't know the caller was a 2+2'er

that was the most impressive one i've seen - especially when brandon's face goes "woooooooooooow"

well done sir
Old 07-20-2005, 12:49 AM

Default Re: stud river calls arent as good....almost mandatory(nt)

[ QUOTE ]
x

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't the river call that was hot, it was him calling on 4th, 5th 6th, and 7th with his unimproved Deuces and Chad Browne betting all the way down.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
brandon schaefer getting called in the EPT by - I don't remember his name - with king high heads up when brandon was bluffing all the way down with 9 high

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked this one. He called off the majority of his chips with K high on the river. I think his name was Carl Olson.

colson10

[/ QUOTE ]

For those who do not know the awesomeness that is Carl Olson....

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #3. Schaefer makes it 50K, I call with K5 hearts. Flop is A82, one heart. Check check. Turn is 2h, giving me a flush draw. I check, Schaefer bets 60K. I consider check raising, but decide 60K is a good price to try to hit my flush. His check on the flop possibly means an ace, and if I can hit my flush he’ll definitely pay me off 150-200K, maybe even double me up. And if I check raise all in and he has an ace, I get called and am in bad shape. I call. The river blanks off 4o. I check, hoping Schaefer checks it down and my K high is good. Schaefer immediately asks me how much I have, it’s a little over 400K. Schaefer bets 250K.

It feels like a bluff. It’s a big bet, about the pot. I think it’s a bluff but look back at my hand and don’t think I can call with K high. It’s a bluff or a slow played big ace. I realize that I can take my time and no one is going to bother me about it. I think about how amazing of a call it would be if I have the best hand. I think about how stupid I’ll look if he has an ace. I think about what Noah said. Once again, I realize that I only have K5, and can’t call. I almost go to muck my cards, but decide to go through the hand once more in my head from the start. I somehow find myself imagining it months later at my friend Jake D’s house watching the tape with my group of good friends. I imagine the EPT version of Mike Sexton saying, “He smells something fishy, but just can’t make the call with K high.” My friend Zack then asks me how I can even be contemplating a call in this spot. I tell him how since I just check raised Schaefer two hands earlier on an ace high flop that if he did indeed have an ace this time he would probably bet the flop in order to give me the chance to do it again. He would also probably bet any other pair in order to protect his hand. Imagining talking to my friend gets me on the right track of actually reasoning my way through the hand instead of just “feeling that he’s bluffing”. I think about his turn bet, and decide that it could mean anything. But then I realize that he knows I don’t have an ace. I mean, HE KNOWS I DON’T HAVE AN ACE! I would not check the flop then check call the turn with an ace. Since he knows I don’t have an ace, he knows it’s going to be tough for me to call much of a bet on the river with any sort of pair. I think about how he would play the river if he had an ace, knowing I don’t have one. I decide he would bet 150K on the river with an ace. Remember, I know almost exactly how Schaefer plays. All of a sudden I’m really thinking about calling. It’s important to note that every once in a while my thought process is interrupted by the realization that I’m the center of attention at the moment and being filmed. I’m about to call but it hits me that he might be bluffing with the best hand. He could be betting a better king trying to move me off a small pair. I decide that he perceives me as being extremely weak and would happily check through thinking he has the best hand if he had a better king. I push 250K out.

“Carl calls 250 thousand” the announcer says. I’m waiting for Schaefer to flip over his ace so that I can look like an idiot having thought for over 5 minutes before calling with K high, only to have Schaefer holding the obvious ace. Schaefer kind of looks at me shrugging his shoulders as he takes the chip off his cards. He holds them out face down, ready to muck. I decide to just turn mine over, knowing there is still the possibility of him having a better king, but thinking it’s no good. I turn over K5. “Carl has K5, for…K high” says the announcer, looking for my pair. Schaefer looks at me, like “WTF!!!!” His cards go into the muck and I stand up quickly. I walk around my chair. I want a break to appreciate how amazing this hand was for me. I want to go over to Steve and tell him my thought process, and how I worked my way through the hand. I’m extremely proud. I realize it will be shown on TV, and I’m even more proud. This is the hand that will define my tournament, not the KK hand. This was the highlight of my poker career.

[/ QUOTE ]