Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

Take solace in the fact that he badly misplayed that hand. His not leading the turn there in order to get some kind of personal satisfaction out of check-raising the river is nothing short of horrible. It's the kind of play that makes me sad at people's general retardness. For a minute. Until I realized he may have cost himself money and saved me bets.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: whats your play on this river raise?

This preflop call is routine for me, but im not sure about it... what does everyone else think?

I like how you played it except I cap the flop. The river im tempted to raise but you have to call with the paired board.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
he made a boat on the turn with K6, oh well

[/ QUOTE ]

The first instinct for some players, when their hand improves to a complete monster, is to check.

I see it all the time.

In this particular case, the flop 3-bet followed by the turn check is very suspicious, though it is possible Villain just got scared of the flush card.

The river checkraise tells us fear of the flush card wasn't the explanation. So then we have to decide whether he was slowplaying the house or the flush on the turn.

BB had a random hand to begin with. There are 28 available hand combos that make a flush and only 12 combos of K6/J6. I don't think we should fully rule out KK/JJ (6 combos), though, especially for a player who plays like this postflop, and 66 (1 combo) is of course also possible.

With a turned flush he'd feel less secure and (you'd think) less inclined to slowplay, as he could go on to lose to a bigger flush or a boat. Also, a lot of players wouldn't play as aggressively with a draw as he played on the flop.

So I think the river decision is difficult. I probably would have just called the checkraise, but I'm not sure what's best. It seems like when I get checkraised on the river, though, I'm usually up against a very big hand or (much less frequently) a pretty weak one or a complete bluff. (There are a few players who love to bluff-raise and bluff-checkraise the river, though I don't run into them too often.)

In any event, against players like BB, you just have to accept that you're going to get trapped sometimes.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:36 PM

Nick C. gives good analysis but I think the boat is more likely than the flush despite the distribution of hands. First, as Nick points out w/o the A-high flush he's unlikely to slowplay (and a lot of his flushes would be like T-high which would be very unlikely). Second, the flop action. A lot of people will 3bt semibluff but he is risking shutting out the third person in the hand--so 2 pair or better is the more likely hand based on that street as well (or possibly a King but we eliminate that with the peculiar river).
Old 07-19-2005, 07:56 PM

I 3-bet this. Flushes/turn trips are slow played all the time. I think we're good enough times here. Fear the full house? Maybe, but I'll pay it off.