Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 09:11 PM

Default General Question

Pardon my ignorance, but I've never visited this particular forum before; I often post in the HE low stakes and mid stakes forums. But I've always loved 7 Stud/8.

I've been playing a bunch of 7 Stud/8 tourneys, and I've been doing remarkably well. I've probably won about 50% of the twenty or so I'd play. As a longtime hold 'em player, I of course realize that the long run is remarkably long, so my success may mean nothing.

I'm basically wondering what kind of win rate is possible for an experienced 7 Stud/8 player, in ring games that is. Is there a group of talented Stud players at Party? Are there a group of knowledgeable players here? Can the games be beaten by a player with a lot of poker experience, but not much in stud. How can one learn about stud, other than the 2+2 book with Ray Zee?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some info.

M
Old 07-18-2005, 09:21 PM

Default Re: General Question

[ QUOTE ]
Daggs911

Reged: 11/17/03

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I often post in the HE low stakes and mid stakes forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we have very different views of what 'often' means... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 09:50 PM

why dont you answer his question instead of trolling to make some dumb comment?
Old 07-18-2005, 10:05 PM

Why don't you check out the rest of my posts before you start calling me a troll. This forum has a history of being laid back and friendly so view my post in that context.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:07 PM

I didnt say you cant be friendly, but at least answer his question while you do it. I would also like to know the answer
Old 07-18-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why dont you answer his question instead of trolling to make some dumb comment?

[/ QUOTE ]

Beta's post was funny. Why don't you stop trying to be a sheriff.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:32 PM

I think we have a very different view of what 'info' means.
Anybody here not a wiseass?

M
Old 07-19-2005, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anybody here not a wiseass?

[/ QUOTE ]

Few and far between. I probably would have said beta wasn't wiseass, but that obviously would have been false.

Honestly though, I don't think many of our posters are that heavily involved in stud8 STT's. That's probably why you haven't had much response.

Just keep playing and winning. Stat's like these are overrated imho.

Beer.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:46 PM

I haven't played a lot of stud/8 (less than 70) STTs but given that there are 8 players, to continue playing you better be finishing in the money 37.5% of the time. From my experience with stud and stud/8 STTs (which is mostly 30 and 50s) there is a group of regulars and are pretty solid. To be consistent in beating the game you must, therefore, be extremely selective in your game. Figure out who the good players are and don't sit at a table with 5 of them.

Yes, the games can be beaten by a player with enough poker e xperience, but because the STTs(moreso at 30 and 50 than 10s) are only frequented by a smaller group of players you must become familiar with the players you are playing with. At 10+1 you will find many many people who don't know stud/8 (or poker for that matter) and are just looking for a break from HE.

To learn stud I read Supersystem. overrated. I don't think it helped me all that much in my understanding of the game. I honestly learned the most by reading the posts on 2+2 dating back months and months and considering the points raised. There are some really really good debates about correct play if you look back through the history.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:25 PM

I really like Zee's high-low split poker book. I recently got it in the mail and have been reading through it. It is very good, much more than Todd Brunson's section, although I didn't think his section on it was terrible by any means. Zee actually address each street and has a complete listing of hand values on 3rd. Very good, IMO.