Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 03:39 PM

Default flop 2 pair on monotone coordinated board

Anybody NOT raise this flop?

Anybody fold to the turn check-raise?

Anybody slow down on the river?

I'm not so much concerned about this particular hand as how to deal with such a coordinated board in general against a large field.

Villain (UTG) is a TAG, table is generally loose/passive.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (11 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Ts As (straight flush, ace high).
Hero has Kc Jc (full house, kings full of jacks).
Outcome: UTG wins 19 BB. </font>
Old 07-19-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: flop 2 pair on monotone coordinated board

Don't post tough beats, or results. There isn't anything interesting here except the royal flush.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:57 PM

o snaaaaap
Old 07-19-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody NOT raise this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a situation where we could wait until the turn to raise. A lot of cards could damage us here, a fourth spade on the turn with 5-6 people in the pot makes it easy to know we're behind and act accordingly.

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody fold to the turn check-raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you knew 100% you were beat by a flush you have 4 outs to fill-up and are getting 1:10 on your call. This is an easy call.

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody slow down on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Avoid results oriented thinking. You have a massive hand and will typically be up against a flush or ace high straight here, cap it.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:18 PM

I absolutely HATE flops like this. Ya, you have 2 pair, but with flush draw, and straight draw out there (not to mention KQ possibilty), this hand screams "you are beat" from the second it hits.

That said, I probably play it the exact same way as you did, shaking my head the whole way knowing that I'm going to lose.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:23 PM

I would probably raise the flop, but I don't think it's really an easy decision. Driving out all of the stray offsuit aces and nines would improve your chances of winning if your hand is currently best, for instance, but only if no one has the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], which there's no way to get rid of, and I doubt anyone's folding the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] either, especially at a table this loose. And if just one person calls with an ace or nine, there went your hand protection versus a ten on the turn.

Perhaps the raise is for value, but I can see just calling and seeing what the turn brings, in a field this large.

When the TAG checkraises the turn, a flopped flush with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] X [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] does start looking like a likely holding. So that's 8 combos (A9s-A2s) you want to draw against (obviously you'd fold if you knew he had the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]). KQ (6 combos) is possible too, unfortunately. But I guess there is some chance he's making a play with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], although, if so, you're going to have to call again on the river to pick off the semi-bluff (and calling again unimproved on the river will be costly if there's not much chance he's semi-bluffing the turn).

Folding here might be best, but I say that primarily because of the TAG's likely range (which includes KQ). Ordinarily, getting 10:1, I'd want to call and try to fill up. And if you think this TAG would limp (instead of folding) ATo, then that's another reason to call (though calling against exactly ATo wouldn't be hugely profitable or anything). The QJs possibility (2 combos) is another reason to call, though this is another hand we'll have to call versus again on the river to beat, unless Villain checks the river.

I would raise the river. I might not cap, in fear of KQo. But that's just 3 combos at this point, and you don't have to worry about a 5-bet. Basically, the river looks fine to me.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:28 PM

I"d tend to raise pre-flop and wait til the turn to raise.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:43 PM

PREFLOP: I think a raise here is in order. Anyone disagree?

FLOP: With 7 opponents, I figure there is a pretty good chance of a made flush already, and almost certainly a flush draw who is not going to fold anyway. I'd just as soon let everyone stay in the pot and go for my five outer to a boat or quads. There may also already be a made straight and there are almost certainly straight draws out there. I figure I might as well let gutshots stay in also as I don't plan on winning this without a full house.

TURN: I would check because a bet will get checkraised by a straight or a flush or maybe even 3 bet and capped and I don't want to fold but don't want to pay extra for this tough draw.

RIVER: Standard.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TURN: I would check because a bet will get checkraised by a straight or a flush or maybe even 3 bet and capped and I don't want to fold but don't want to pay extra for this tough draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't like this turn check-through idea when I first read it. But, come to think of it, if the TAG who led the flop has solid EP preflop standards, then it does seem like we'll be getting checkraised here on the turn quite a bit.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:15 PM

Hi,

Am I the only one who thinks KJs should raise 2 EP limpers when in MP? This should keep most of the LP players out of the pot thus improving your position.

That said, with a reasonable player (edit) UTG bets and then calls a raise rather then 3 betting(edit), checking the turn is probably ok. He may have missed his Limp-reraise with AA/KK, He is probably sitting on KQ or the other KJ or the nuts. He won't have hands like ATo or K8 here. He *may* have 88 with the 8 of spades, but its a long shot.

Also, its obvious to everyone you have trips kings or a FH. Just calling is right, not reraising.

Later,
MarkV.