Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 03:27 PM

Default How would you have played this hand?

Sorry, The converter doesnt support this site.

Seat 1: Dr. History ($1.20 in chips)
Seat 2: BABE1949 ($14.25 in chips)
Seat 3: hiwayman26 ($14.05 in chips)
Seat 4: westside_eh ($106.70 in chips)
Seat 5: RW666 ($75.80 in chips)
Seat 8: toonman ($12.80 in chips)
Seat 10: cgdorty ($178.45 in chips)
ANTES/BLINDS
cgdorty posts blind ($0.25), Dr. History posts blind ($0.50), westside_eh posts blind ($0.50).

I was dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Normally I wouldn't play this hand, but it was my first at the table so I had posted my blind.

PRE-FLOP
BABE1949 folds, hiwayman26 calls $0.50, westside_eh checks, RW666 calls $0.50, toonman calls $0.50, cgdorty calls $0.25, Dr. History checks.

FLOP [board cards 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
cgdorty bets $0.50, Dr. History folds, hiwayman26 folds, westside_eh calls $0.50, RW666 folds, toonman calls $0.50.

Nut flush draw and top 2 pair. Obviously a good flop for my hand. Should I've raised or is the call good?

TURN [board cards 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
cgdorty bets $1, westside_eh calls $1, toonman calls $1.

I thought that they probably both hit their lows here. Still had lots of cards to make me a winner and perhaps the 2 pair was good so called again.

RIVER [board cards 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
cgdorty bets $1, westside_eh calls $1, toonman calls $1.

Should I have let this hand go when none of my draws hit? Called because I thought they both might have low hands.
SHOWDOWN
cgdorty shows [ 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
westside_eh mucks cards [ Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
toonman shows [ J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],A:hearts: ]
toonman wins low $5, cgdorty wins high $5.

What would you have done differently? How many times does the 2 pair have to be good to make that call on the river profitable? Thanks
Old 07-19-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: How would you have played this hand?

I think you played it fine. Depending on your read of the table, a raise on the flop makes sense if you're trying to charge naked low draws for drawing. Maybe alternatively a raise on the turn once the 2 hits to scare out any counterfeited lows (although none were present here)? Just my off-the-cuff thoughts.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:56 PM

you were getting 4.25:1 for the high, with possibly 4.75 if the player behind you called. If you are good 1 time in 5 you make money.

you could have tried a raise on the flop to get rid of A3, although with third nut flush he might have stayed around. I am surprised toonman didn't raise the turn. One of the 2 ugly blind hands was going to be disappointed [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 06:20 PM

raising the flop is almost essential. You usually have the best hand right now (obviously not the case this time, but in general) and you're drawing to the nut flush. If the board pairs your queen or seven you're sitting very good.

You want to make weak low hands pay to play esp anyone who would otherwise hang around with 23 or A3 hands...raise

Turn, now that there is a low on the board you should just call. You're likely splitting the pot so just call.

River. I call it here. There are no straight or flush possibilities. You have the 2nd best two-pair and odds are you're against two people fighting for a low. It's unfortunate that Cg had trip fours, but honestly he's an idiot for pushing bottom set.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raising the flop is almost essential. You usually have the best hand right now (obviously not the case this time, but in general) and you're drawing to the nut flush. If the board pairs your queen or seven you're sitting very good.

You want to make weak low hands pay to play esp anyone who would otherwise hang around with 23 or A3 hands...raise

Turn, now that there is a low on the board you should just call. You're likely splitting the pot so just call.

River. I call it here. There are no straight or flush possibilities. You have the 2nd best two-pair and odds are you're against two people fighting for a low. It's unfortunate that Cg had trip fours, but honestly he's an idiot for pushing bottom set.

[/ QUOTE ]

This man's advice is very good, i am in of complete support
Old 07-20-2005, 03:45 AM

A raise on the flop might have pushed bottom set out, in fact.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nut flush draw and top 2 pair. Obviously a good flop for my hand. Should I've raised or is the call good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Westside - Tough question. Your two flopped two pair cries out for a raise to limit the field, but your flopped nut flush draw cries out for customers and the better odds you get by calling.

On balance, I think a raise is better, but it's fairly close in my mind.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought that they probably both hit their lows here. Still had lots of cards to make me a winner and perhaps the 2 pair was good so called again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not much else to do here.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have let this hand go when none of my draws hit? Called because I thought they both might have low hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reasonable. I'd play the same as you on the fourth betting round, and for the same reason.

[ QUOTE ]
What would you have done differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

I might have raised on the second betting round. Mainly you just didn't have much luck. It happens.

[ QUOTE ]
How many times does the 2 pair have to be good to make that call on the river profitable?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're calling one big bet to possibly win 4.25 big bets. If you only win one time in five, you'll show a slight profit.

Buzz