Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Running Limit Hold Em simulations

Hi,

I have poki poker but cannot find a way to make it run simulations. What I want to do is this.

Stipulate for example a 6 handed table.

Model the the 6 players into styles/categories. Give the button K4s and run the hand '000's of times to get his expected return. Can turbo texas hold em let me do this?
Old 07-19-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Running Limit Hold Em simulations

I don't have TTH but I can tell you that if it can be done TTH will do it, Perhaps someone who does own the software can tell you for sure.

What you want to avoid with these sims is generalizing too much. In a case where you have a hand like this there will be some situations where it's going to give you +EV and some which will not. And most of the time I'd expect it would not. Therefore if you run the whole thing together and, say, get a -EV overall, you wouldn't just want to throw it away every time, for instance, when first in with tight blinds.

KC
Old 07-19-2005, 03:27 PM

poki poker is supposed to be able to do this.

i dont' own the software nor have i used it but the website touts this ability as a feature.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I have poki poker but cannot find a way to make it run simulations. What I want to do is this.

Model the the 6 players into styles/categories. Give the button K4s and run the hand '000's of times to get his expected return. Can turbo texas hold em let me do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can accomplish this by seating your six preferred bot profiles at a full ring table and then setting your bankroll to $0. Poki will then run as a six handed game, as you will not be dealt cards. Select auto-deal, and let the program run as long as it takes to accumlate the number of played hands of interest to you. Note that you should set the bankrolls for the bots very high relative to the limit structure you chose, to help prevent the bots from busting out before you reach your desired hands played objective.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

[/ QUOTE ]

You can accomplish this by seating your six preferred bot profiles at a full ring table and then setting your bankroll to $0. Poki will then run as a six handed game, as you will not be dealt cards. Select auto-deal, and let the program run as long as it takes to accumlate the number of played hands of interest to you. Note that you should set the bankrolls for the bots very high relative to the limit structure you chose, to help prevent the bots from busting out before you reach your desired hands played objective.

[/ QUOTE ]

But can I give a player say 54s in the BB and play thousands of hands with just this and see how it does against steal raises?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But can I give a player say 54s in the BB and play thousands of hands with just this and see how it does against steal raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Freeze the button under Options > Freeze Button and then set the BB's hand, 54s in your example, under Dealer > Dealer Options > Fixed Hole Cards.

Remember to give the blinds huge bankrolls relative to the other bots and the limit you select.

To attempt steal raise situations, you'll have to use the Fixed Hole Cards option again to select unplayable hands, or ranges of hands, to be dealt to the bots not on the button or the CO.

Note that the bots will adjust their play to other bots. So after just several hundred hands of only the CO and the Button playing, the blinds will begin to adapt to the unusual circumstance you have set up.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Note that the bots will adjust their play to other bots. So after just several hundred hands of only the CO and the Button playing, the blinds will begin to adapt to the unusual circumstance you have set up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the information.

But I'm not sure how useful this type of simulation would be...
It's just too easy to arrrive at erroneous conclusions.

And ** minimum ** size for any situation needs to be about 50,000 to 100,000 hands...
So hope you have a lot of time on your hands.

You could set the Limit Bots to 100% Math 0% Model...
And this should eliminate adaptation.

And I'm not sure the NL Avery Bot adapts...
Just plays an "agressive strategy" depending on blind level.

Again...
If one really wants to do sophisticated simulations with PA...
You really have to write custom Bots...
That play any way you want...
And plug them into Poker Academy.

I will definitely be doing this in next few months.

rm+

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]